Search the forum,

Discuss Central Heating cut and shut in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi All,

Just a quick question, would it be possible for me to shut the gate valve to the flow pipe to the central heating and open the return at any radiator without it causing a mess?

From what i know, the flow goes in to the radiator and after coes out as the return, so technically if the flow is closed off at a gate valve that should stop the return from giving out a pressured release? Just need some clarification.

I need to cut and shut off the flow and return pipe to the central heating to a single floor without turning the entire building off.

Thanks guys

If it’s tank fed, then no. Are you able to freeze it?
Hi Aquarius,

Thank you for the response.

It's not tank fed it's boosted from the plant room for the whole building with no labels.. the pipe is barrel so will be cutting and capping with a Primofit end cap.

Was thinking about freezing the steel pipe, but as a last resort.

Only option is to have a building plant down for an hour and unscrew the pipe from the tee and use a plug as legionella will be picked up

Only option is to have a building plant down for an hour and unscrew the pipe from the tee and use a plug as legionella will be picked up
Hi Shaun,

Thank you for the response.

The pipe will need to be cut and capped off, it's connected to the main boosted water supply which goes behind a wall woth no access to it, so was hoping to cut as close to the booster stack and cap it off.

Just was wondering, the flow has a gate valve on it, if i shut that off can i drain the return from a radiator and cut it close to the stack, or will it backflow with pressure? Just need some clarification on it.

If anything I'll get the plant room shut off if the above is wrongly interpreted.

Need to get it back to the tee

yes the return will back flow so need to shut both the flow and return tbh sounds like your not 100% experienced in a commercial set up best to get a pro in before you flood the building (which is possible)

Need to get it back to the tee

yes the return will back flow so need to shut both the flow and return tbh sounds like your not 100% experienced in a commercial set up best to get a pro in before you flood the building (which is possible)
Thank you for the help Shaun, appreciate it.

Reply to Central Heating cut and shut in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock