Search the forum,

Discuss Central heating circuit won't circulate after replacing radiator in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

branchlake

Hi - I'm a new poster and have just stumbled upon this very useful forum. I would be very grateful for any advice.

I have a Eurocombi Ariston boiler that's about 10 years old. It operates without a thermostat on a simple on/off control within the boiler itself. There are five radiators throughout my house that are all on a single water circuit.

I noticed last winter that the radiator in the front room was not circulating much water through it (although the other radiators worked just fine...) so on the advice of my handyman I replaced the radiator in the front room the other day by myself. I'd never done this before but it looked very straightforward from videos and instruction I'd seen online and from in-person advice I'd got from the plumbing shop.

I closed off the control valve flow and the outlet valve flow, emptied the water from the radiator, undid the two valve nuts (one on either side), replaced the radiator, re-attached the valve nuts, opened the control valve flow and filled the radiator by cleeding out the air, and then opened the outlet valve flow. This should have opened the circuit back up, in theory.

After doing this, I switched on the heating at the boiler. It fired up immediately. I could feel the hot water feeding out through the pipe underneath the boiler, but no hot water was reaching any of the radiators anywhere in the house. This leads me to believe that the circuit is not circulating somehow. I don't know how this can be, however, as it is entirely open. I didn't want to leave the heating at the boiler level on too long, as I didn't want to damage the circulation pump.

I don't know what more I can do, and I cannot think of a reason why the circuit wouldn't be working anymore. Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions?

Any and all advice is very welcome and appreciated.

Many thanks

Air lock or pump knackered

Try turning all rads off at hand wheels/ trvs
And open one at a time if heat comes turn off and go to next one

Bleed radiator , then repressurise to 1 bar if required , make sure lock shield is open ,

probably the trv that was stopping the old rad working is still stuck shut ,never listen to handymen when it comes to plumbing

You probably got air lock or pump not circulation like it should valves turn of sticky trv or no pressure in system

Bleed pump by loosening large central screw. Ensure auto vents are working. Don't get water on PCB or other electrics.

Bleed pump by loosening large central screw. Ensure auto vents are working. Don't get water on PCB or other electrics.

he cant do that as hes not gas safe ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Central heating circuit won't circulate after replacing radiator in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
My daughter's place has a small water leak on a ground floor radiator valve. The radiator pipework is small diameter.i.e 8 or 10 mm. A plumber is coming back in a day or so to make necessary repairs. I am a little concerned as the house has a Boilermate 2000 on the upper floor and the...
Replies
Views
Hullo everyone its a while since I posted on here basically because i have had no plumbing issues however I have one now. My son recently moved into a house which has cellar within which is a radiator which is part of the central heating system. The rad looks old, rusty and horrible as does the...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Looking for some advice please. Got a building, all one level with 7 radiators. 3 individual ones in separate rooms then 4 radiators all together in one large room. The issue is with the 4 radiators in the large room. Basically not getting hot, the first 10% of the radiator is...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have a customer with a modern anthracite vertical radiator and a modern TRV and lockshield. The radiator makes a loud metallic bang from within the radiator, when it heats up and cools down. I have opened the lockshield fully, lowered the boiler pressure from 2.5 bar to just over 1...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a Vailant EcoTec Boiler with a Megaflo. These are controlled by a Honeywell controller. I have one 3 port diverter, where one of the outputs goes to a 2 port diverter prior to the Megaflo (I believe this is some safety feature). I have run into an intermittent problem where some...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock