Search the forum,

Discuss Central heating causes noises in wall in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I moved into a bungalow 7 months ago and over the winter I've heard loud popping and cracking sounds which seems to come from the wall in the living room where the fireplace is. It starts about half an hour after I've put the central hearing on. It's not continuous but every half an hour or so I hear a loud crack. The radiator is on the opposite wall though. I did have a plumber doing a job for me a couple of months ago and he did say noise travels along joists so it might not be coming from that wall. He said the heating pipes will be under the floor on the opposite side of the room. I looked under the floor but the pipes are all lagged, nothing that would be banging against joists. I looked under the floor by the fire but I can't see anything amiss there. I'm not sure why there should be noise by the fireplace. The noise seems to move around that wall as well, sometimes further along away from the fire. I looked in the loft where there is a water tank, but everything looks ok. There was one pipe not lagged, so I lagged it but it's made no difference. What could be causing this noise? It's as if something is expanding with the heat and creating noise. It happens an hour or two after the heating goes of as well. Can anyone think what might be happening here? Thank you.

What sort of heating boiler and system have you, and where is the boiler located?
Sometimes the pipes are run up the side of chimney inside a casing

It's a conventional boiler. I had a combi in the last house. This is a Potterton conventional boiler which is in the kitchen. There is a flu for the gas fire. The previous fire was condemned as the flu didn't meet standards so I've had a glass fronted gas fire fitted with the flu fitted to the outside wall. The installer didn't mention anything about pipes inside the chimney though. What do you think? Many thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Central heating causes noises in wall in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Desperate for some help! Be a life saver of someone can help as suffer from a high intolerance to noise. Moved into new house 1940s (copper pipes) and having serious issues with banging pipes only when central heating is on. Not when running taps We have a wall in living room that has stop tap...
Replies
Views
I have been facing central heating low pressure on unvented hot water RM Cylinders but can't see any leak on the PRV, expansion vessels and plasterboard celling. I have got unvented pressurized RM Cylinders hot water system with 27KW Worchester gas boiler with expansion vessels . When...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
Hi I'm dealing with Vaillant Ecotec 824 R1 in one flat. The boiler make a very loud noise when central heating is on - this is random and occurs mostly at night. I'm sharing video showing the problem: So far we changed: 1. Expansion vessel 2. Pump 3. Water pressure gauge - analogue sensor...
Replies
Views
T
Hello, I have just moved in to a new flat this week and have a problem with noise coming from somewhere around the top of the boiler. It's a loud clicking/knocking sound that lasts about a minute, stops for 20-30 seconds and starts again. It seems to happen at night, starting in the evening...
Replies
Views
Hi, Over the past few months, my wife and I have noticed a constant pulsing sound throughout the house which is particularly noisy at night (this could be as a result of us noticing the sound more when there is less environmental noise). Unfortunately, it is severely disrupting our sleep, so we...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock