Search the forum,

Discuss Censorship in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MUZ50

Why did you edit my post then closed?

The electrical check list can be freely downloaded from vokera. Actually the whole installation process including gas installation can be done through downloaded manuals. So if anybody wants to do it, there is no point in stopping/censoring them or telling them not to do so, or I told you so. They can decide if they want to kill themselves or not. NOT YOU!

You're following the nanny state and depriving people from knowledge. Are you afraid you're gonna be out of a job? well think twice. Most people including myself would seek a professional gas fitter before they kill themselves.

Unfortunately, there are many cowboys out there doing shoddy jobs that many people now have had enough. Your profession needs an over hall and credibility to make one believe in your work.

Some people choose to fix their own homes and it is their prerogative. The consequences are their own. Nobody should tell them what to do. But we should educate everybody about safety and let them choose, NOT censor them.

When I bough my house the work on my boiler was appalling and still is. Bent shut pipes, redundant pipes, lead to copper pipes, holes here and there, leaking pipes sealed with silicon etc. I am sorry but people should be proud of their work and should do a good job instead of chasing money and ripping off people.

Telling people not to open the boiler cover etc. and scare mongering will alienate this forum. It would be best to try to make people understand their limits by educating them rather than bullying them in accepting your agendas. Yes gas kills, so do cigarettes, alcohol, drugs, fire ....

Some diyers risk their lives to save some bucks but not all diyers should be classed as stupid or amateurs. Educated/knowledgeable diyers know their limits and the safety they should follow and if some stupid diyer kills him/herself that would be their fault not this forum.

This forum should promote education to all not censorship. We have loads of that already. We shouldn't be afraid that some silly diyer is not gonna use our services or may kill themselves. If they do it is their fault. Safety and knowledge to all is the key.

This forum should promote good workmanship and provide genuine references to excellent tradesman that we can all use knowing that the work they provide will follow excellent standards and that we will be proud of and safe.

End of rant.

Muz

I tried to read your long speech but i got bored reading and caught the jist of it, You think you live in a world of free information and advice for all and are a bit pi ssed off because you never got it.
DIY gas work is not hard, but, its illegal because you don't have the knowledge or equipment to work safely
>Read this http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/priced/l56.pdf
To save you a lot of time go to the bottom of page 14 and read regulation 2 (1) then read the guidance notes below it (51, 1st line)
Regardless of what you think we should or shouldn't tell you, or how competent you may think you are to hammer a nail into a half loaf, this forum will not advocate giving advice on how to do things that may be detrimental to the lives of the kids next door.
If you don't like it wgaf

tamz can you really read? well done.

Did I hurt your feelings? what a shame. You don't get it, so you become an bum. Now stick your shoddy attitude including your crappy work and stupid regs where they belong. IGNORAMUS.

Trusted advisor???????????? just like this silly government.

I'll answer your points one at a time

Yes i'm on Janet and John book 3 so i gave up on yours.
Thanks
No
?? For what ??
I do, you're a pri ck
Never ASSume anything
I've never had a shoddy attitude nor did any crappy work in my life, unfortunately i can't say the same for anyone else. Choose your tradesman wisely.
I don't make the rules or write the regs
I like that word. Especially when shouted at me. My mother used to call me that all the time usually for farting loudly and embarrassing her in company.
Thats the badge i've been given.
I've not got a lot of tolerance for anyone in government but they don't write the rules. They pay civil servants to do that then they pass the laws without even reading it.

If you can't afford to pay someone put another jumper on and boil the kettle for all i care.
Competent electrician my rse

Imagine walking into a pub looking for a row and seeing Tamz sat on a bar stool all on his own. You'd walk in and tip toe back out!!

Thanks for the advice muz. I fear it may be your last on here.

Sorry to post on a closed thread Steve.

For any newbies reading this and wondering what the hell was going on.

The op was looking for DIY advice. 9 times out of 10 we will supply advice the best we can based on the information given.

BUT there will be times where we tell you under no uncertain terms to step back and employ a pro to do the work.

Two examples of these situations are.......

UNVENTED CYLINDERS

You need to be trained and qualified under Part G of the Building Regulations to install, maintain or repair these or any part of the equipment associated with them. These cylinders, by their very nature, contain a colossal amount of stored energy which has the potential to take the side of your house off if installed incorrectly.

GAS PIPEWORK AND APPLIANCES

"But I'm only looking at the electrical side!"

Doesn’t matter, how do you know whether replacing the pcb affects the combustion? Do you know whether the case forms part of the combustion seal? (Which was the case with our dearly departed cretin above.)

You don't, we do.

We take a wide and sweeping view to gas and appliances on this forum up to and including editing or deleting the thread.

You agreed to these rules when you signed up to the forum. They're posted in the majority of sub forums for you to read.

There's no doubt in our position and it will never change.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also just to add anymore newbies who spit their dummy and send me PMS asking why there threads been closed,I will automatically assume you can't read the FAQ and ban you anyway, you have been warned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Censorship in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We have an all Vaillant setup - an EcoTEC Plus 637 system boiler plus wired VR720 and VR92 SensoCOMFORT controller, driving two CH zones plus DHW. It all works, but unfortunately we have found that the room stats are poorly located, and so the level of control is not what it should be. We had...
Replies
Views
Hi gents and ladies, Making the probable mistake of buying a house at present : bit of a fixer with a shoddy but recent boiler installation. Have a bit of a question for our resident gas people, if you can possibly help me out here. The vendors seem to have lost the installation invoice, but...
Replies
Views
Hi - I'm hoping someone can help with some advice. Ahead of some renovation work, we had a 50 year old old floor standing boiler in the utility room removed and a new Worcester Bosch Greenstar 24Ri wall mounted in the garage. Aside from being old, the original boiler worked perfectly. A full...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I'm a (somewhat, I hope...) competent DIYer and just want to get some advice if my suspicion on a problem we're having is correct. We had a Megaflo and boiler professionally installed as part of a renovation a couple of years ago. I will add all of the pipework was done by this...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have just noticed a damp patch around where my boiler flue exits through to outside wall along with a rusty colour around the collar of the flue bend. I’ve checked the external wall & there’s no water coming in from outside but the flue terminal also has a rusty colour. My regular boiler...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock