Search the forum,

Discuss carrer advice needed! please advise! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

b services t

Hey all,
Basically I’m 20 years old have a btec in construction and am currently doing a hnc in building service training to be a contracts manager.
Yet I don’t think the office is for me! i would like to become a gas/ heating engineer but don’t know how i would become this without starting from the beginning and undertake a 3 years apprenticeship meaning I’ve wasted 4 years of education + 1 year generally in the office. please could someone help, i have a year left on my HNC meaning i have a year left in the office but would like to break out after this.

mate stick with the hnc and take a more hands on role once your finished....

why for the life of me would someone do a btec and then hnc and change there mind to become a gas engineer i dont know.

the money is not as much as made out. could spend all day doing landlord safety certs not the most exciting work.... youve got a good career in front of you if the office is not what you want then take a more hands on role...

contracts manager - 40-50 grand, company car, business lunches etc etc
gas engineer 20 grand after your apprenticeship, non starter unless you get the experience....

what about electrician? this is the way the future is gonna go with nuclear power meaning electric rates will stay the same, gas is going through the roof! so unless you get into renewables (which isnt cheap with the microgeneration scheme being angled at bigger businesses your gonna struggle - why when your already 90 percent into a great career!

stick with the HNC for goodness sake. dont fall for it, just coz u get fed up in the office and wanna get out and about. get a contract managers role, suveyor, poss site engineer but dont fall for gas engineer role

o rite cheers guys , i didnt mean i was going to drop out of the hnc but i meant after the hnc how would i go about getting a more hands on job. any advise on that?
moeny wise im not to botherd, the contract managers within the company i work on earn in the 30s and so do the engineers.

i dont fancy the electrician role but the renewable energy does come across intresting.

well you have to gain your nvq's and then your gas qualifications....

for that you need a portfolio of work alongside a gsr engineer....

once you finish most employees will want 5 yrs experience....

dont fancy a spark, but fancy gas engineer.... will be qualfied to hnc as a contracts manager ? not being funny mate but sounds fishy to me... you'll be sorry i can guarentee that!

just strange why someone as qualified as you would go for a less qualified job with less prospects ? it can be a pretty much hands on job project manager, i would personally love to of been able to get the position your in....

not realy i want a hands on job i.e why i was thinkin about going down the gas engineer role. Arent much prospects realy once i become qualifed unless i come area manger theres no further to go(unless i go on to do my masters and become a consultant / designer which i dont fancy). Im not an office person and dont want to be ive seen what the stress has done to people running large project and i dont want to go down that road.... simple as that. so instead of judgement i would find some adivse helpfull.

get an apprenticseship then - go down to minimum wage and get your level 2 and level 3 qualification - gaining 4 yrs experience when it comes to gas! which will help you get a job as no one will take on anyone without experience so that counts out the quick fix course, so you will then be 24 when your qualified enough to work on your own.

or

do a gas training course and pay thousands..... and then you still have to get a portfolio together working on gas in your part time working with a reg engineer (try finding oine first as most dont want to help someone on the quick fix course) get together the range of jobs required to cover the aspects in your potfolio, and then you can take the exams to get your gas certs....

oh and then you'll get called out to a boiler to fix it and it will be something wrong with the wet side - which you will know nothing about as youve concentrated on the gas side of things on your quick fix course!

either way your gonna struggle - take it from me 30 yrs old 3 kids 4 bedroom house re-trained the proper way through an apprenticeship on minimum wage 32 hours a week.
i have worked in construction on massive jobs, heathrow terminal 3 in 98, to vauxhalls elesmere port, and now more the domestic side, and ive always looked in envy at the office types, suited up company car on 40-50 grand a year, so thats why i was the way i was, not judging you each to there owni was mearly trying to point out you've worked hard and your qualified, why throw it away now to potentially struggle to get anywhere in a sector thats already saturised and difficult to get a start in! but youve made your point - iv e given my advice

good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
Am wanting to become a plumber, was looking into fast track but after reading few posts on here dont think that is the best route. Was thinking of a day release go part time in present job or try and do evening classes. Dont think I would get an Apprentiship at 27.

Last edited by a moderator:
Am wanting to become a plumber, was looking into fast track but after reading few posts on here dont think that is the best route. Was thinking of a day release go part time in present job or try and do evening classes. Dont think I would get an Apprentiship at 27.
why not?.
my mate got one at 44 with large p.h firm?.

you can get an apprenticeship but will probably have to pay towards the college fees

prob is, which ever route you choose there is hartdly any work about. i dont think choosing which course is an issue but what you will do when qualified, especially if you have spent alot to train

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to carrer advice needed! please advise! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock