Search the forum,

Discuss Career advice.. or maybe just a point in the right direction. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tractor_boy

Hello

Im 23 years old and now coming to the end of a two year City & Guilds 6129 plumbing course which i have funded myself. After three years of applying previously and during the course im just having no luck in finding an employer which is willing to take me on (recession!). Im at a stage now where iv saved about £4500 and im seriously looking at getting myself a basic van and spending some money on adding to basic tools which i have already brought.

My plans are to maybe keep my job at the moment, delivery driving(so that i have some money coming in), and for the weekend or evenings trying to gain jobs here and there through advertising on Gumtree etc for things i know im able to do and will always be beneficial in gaining more experience.

also by having my own van and tools would this make me more 'employable' and a kind of incentive to be taken on by someone?

* any advice and comments will be happily welcome good or bad or maybe another way of approaching this.

Thank you

ime sorry to say you are like many others sold the dream of untold riches on completion of the 6129 tech cert
there isnt enough work out there for experinced plumbers let alone new entrants with basic skills
there is no encouraging news to be given other than try try try to get in with an experienced plumber but that is like finding hens teeth ime afraid

yea tell me about it has been a bit of a challenge!! so even taking on small jobs here and there like changing taps or even the odd moving or fitting a radiator.

thanks Ecofrank and well done. you seem a very determined person!! and to be honest inspired me to go for it? .. dads always said to me ' your young enough, that if you fall on your a*s, you can pick yourself back up again'

hmmm ...

your dads spot on mate do what youve said keep the day job try and get anywork and just keep learning till the work seems to be regular enough to make the step to full time
most of us self employed started by doing privates untill there were more privates than there were hours
be prepared for jobs seeming impossible and sometimes thinking of picking up the tools and running away cos it will happen just remember in a week youll have forgotten how hard it was and know how to get over a similar problem in future thats what experience is about
always price the matierials right provided youve allowed enough for the matierials all your losing when it all goes wrong is your time
dont under price your self if it goes wrong but youve got the right price job will not seem so bad if theirs no money to look forward to it realy can be daunting

your dads spot on mate do what youve said keep the day job try and get anywork and just keep learning till the work seems to be regular enough to make the step to full time
most of us self employed started by doing privates untill there were more privates than there were hours
be prepared for jobs seeming impossible and sometimes thinking of picking up the tools and running away cos it will happen just remember in a week youll have forgotten how hard it was and know how to get over a similar problem in future thats what experience is about
always price the matierials right provided youve allowed enough for the matierials all your losing when it all goes wrong is your time
dont under price your self if it goes wrong but youve got the right price job will not seem so bad if theirs no money to look forward to it realy can be daunting

steve i thought it was just me who went through phases like this its not just me then:D

encouraging word steve thanks !! if i was to do this advertising would play a major part in it all is leaflet dropping advisable or maybe just a simple add on gumtree etc.. and word of mouth.. not expecting big things and floods of word at first at all just a job here and there to get me more experience!

Hi. If your out and about delivering kit. Canvas the punters you deliver to. Theirs not much loyalty in this game just price.

great blog ecofrank. There is so much for new entrants to consider. there is proably time you havnt aCCOUNTED for like pricing, ordering materials, dropping off quotes, answering the phone, dropping off leaflets completing the monthly accounts etc. If you built this into your £22 an hour it would soon come down ! Then also, depreciation, tax, insurance, running costs training fees, loans etc.

The amount of work you have put in and sacrifices made for you and your family have been remarkable and this has been the only way you could have made it work. If people are not willing to have this level of commitment they proably wont suceed, their chances are proabbly at 10% would you agree?

Like fuzzy, enjoyed the blog eco. The one thing that sticks out is "sense of humor" if you take the game to serious it can make you ill. As for wood burners, (i deal with a lot of HETAS fitters) that where the money is
at the moment and not to complex. Good Luck

May be me being silly as a newcomer to plumbing but i thought you had to be qualified to nvq2 anyway before you started going self employed ? a tech certificate is just an introduction to plumbing and the reason you have to follow on with a nvq is to gain the neccesary practical experience ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Career advice.. or maybe just a point in the right direction. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock