Search the forum,

Discuss Care home UFH wired incorrectly in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I’m an electrician, a plumber has asked me to look at wiring in a care home for UFH with a system boiler.
Only way to get it to work is run everything constantly.
The wiring center was a mess, i’ve rewired and now working as expected.
However, it appears to me there is an unnecessary valve. On the heating side there is a master valve (S-Plan), then behind this two manifolds with thier own valves. The master valve was wired to be constantly open.
I’ve rewired for it to only open when one of the UFH valves is calling for hot water.
I’ve been told UFH was installed by one company and boiler by another. So I wonder if boiler engineer installed S-Plan, and UFH just fitted to this.
I can’t see any reason for the master valve (S-Plan). I’m gonna suggest to plumber to remove as I just can’t see any reason for it and I think this will simplify installation, what do you think, am I missing something.
To be clear I’m ignoring hot water in this post, that all works fine.

Zone valves wired in series ?

Here's a brief diagram, hopefully this makes more sense than my text.
To recap, I don't see why you need a "Master Valve"

20190226_074439061_iOS.jpg

You sure it’s not a 3 port would make sense

When you say "3 port" I guess you are referring to Harvest Fields suggestion as opposed to a 3 port valve?

It would then make sense if this was the case. I will double check when I am back, but I was lead to believe there is only UFH.
If this is the case, do you agree the "Master Valve" is superfluous ?

No it could be a 3 port zone valve or are you 100% it’s a 2 port

I am confused by what you mean by a master valve? Are there just 2 zone valves. If so you have to have these otherwise the under floor would only come on with the water and they will want the underfloor on by itself .

I am confused by what you mean by a master valve? Are there just 2 zone valves. If so you have to have these otherwise the under floor would only come on with the water and they will want the underfloor on by itself .
Master valve is my terminology as it governs the subordinate vavles, look at the diagram, it's in series with the manifold valves. The manifold valve triggers the boiler when any of the thermostats call for heat. All the thermostats are wired into a relay for this purpose.

Remove it then

Reply to Care home UFH wired incorrectly in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all. I've currently got a system boiler with cylinder and rads on s-plan. I'm planning on installing UFH in my kitchen/diner and utility/downstairs loo. My question is around mixing valves and opentherm. Do mixing valves dynamically adjust the amount of cold being mixed in response to the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi guys, I have a set up with rads upstairs and UFH downstairs. I have installed the manifold for the UFH along with 2x Honeywell 2port values, one near the manifold and the other on the radiator side. I will be using Nest 3rd gen thermostats to control both the upstairs radiators and...
Replies
Views
Good morning, wondered if anyone can advise please on a resolution? My set up at home is that I have a 4-bed detached with 21 radiators (includes 4 towel rails), a 6m x 4m orangery/conservatory that was built last year with under-floor heating, and a Megaflo for storing hot water. The UFH...
Replies
Views
Hi Everyone I wasn’t sure whether to post this in here or UFH but hopefully I’m posting this in the correct group. I’m in the throes of a full renovation and am currently designing the central heating system, I’m installing radiators (11 or 12 in total) and am going to run each rad from its...
Replies
Views
Hi All, Looking for a bit of advice on the best way to pipe this. - 24kW Worcester regular boiler in kitchen, approx. 9 years old - unvented tank, zone vavles, pump, expansion is on first floor in airing cupboard - Currently piped as S-plan. - Hive controls. - Would like to fit 6-zone...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock