Search the forum,

Discuss Care home UFH wired incorrectly in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I’m an electrician, a plumber has asked me to look at wiring in a care home for UFH with a system boiler.
Only way to get it to work is run everything constantly.
The wiring center was a mess, i’ve rewired and now working as expected.
However, it appears to me there is an unnecessary valve. On the heating side there is a master valve (S-Plan), then behind this two manifolds with thier own valves. The master valve was wired to be constantly open.
I’ve rewired for it to only open when one of the UFH valves is calling for hot water.
I’ve been told UFH was installed by one company and boiler by another. So I wonder if boiler engineer installed S-Plan, and UFH just fitted to this.
I can’t see any reason for the master valve (S-Plan). I’m gonna suggest to plumber to remove as I just can’t see any reason for it and I think this will simplify installation, what do you think, am I missing something.
To be clear I’m ignoring hot water in this post, that all works fine.

Zone valves wired in series ?

Here's a brief diagram, hopefully this makes more sense than my text.
To recap, I don't see why you need a "Master Valve"

20190226_074439061_iOS.jpg

You sure it’s not a 3 port would make sense

You sure it’s not a 3 port would make sense
When you say "3 port" I guess you are referring to Harvest Fields suggestion as opposed to a 3 port valve?

It would then make sense if this was the case. I will double check when I am back, but I was lead to believe there is only UFH.
If this is the case, do you agree the "Master Valve" is superfluous ?

When you say "3 port" I guess you are referring to Harvest Fields suggestion as opposed to a 3 port valve?

It would then make sense if this was the case. I will double check when I am back, but I was lead to believe there is only UFH.
If this is the case, do you agree the "Master Valve" is superfluous ?

No it could be a 3 port zone valve or are you 100% it’s a 2 port

I am confused by what you mean by a master valve? Are there just 2 zone valves. If so you have to have these otherwise the under floor would only come on with the water and they will want the underfloor on by itself .

I am confused by what you mean by a master valve? Are there just 2 zone valves. If so you have to have these otherwise the under floor would only come on with the water and they will want the underfloor on by itself .
Master valve is my terminology as it governs the subordinate vavles, look at the diagram, it's in series with the manifold valves. The manifold valve triggers the boiler when any of the thermostats call for heat. All the thermostats are wired into a relay for this purpose.

Remove it then

Could be an old valve or it could be for a heating circuit. You need to double check it is for the UFH only.

I’ll double check again to be sure there is no third circuit, but otherwise I’ll unwire and leave manually open, then tell plumber to remove when he next drains.
Thanks guys,

I’ll double check again to be sure there is no third circuit, but otherwise I’ll unwire and leave manually open, then tell plumber to remove when he next drains.
Thanks guys,
You need to make sure that it is definitely open all the time and cannot close at all or it needs removing at the same time.

It may be wired in with the DHW valve.
When the DHW valve is opened - the valve in question might close.
May have been done to simplify the wiring?

Reply to Care home UFH wired incorrectly in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock