• Welcome to PlumbersForums.net - The international plumbing advice forum. Professional plumbers sharing advice with fellow plumbers and DIY alike. Register for free today!

Discuss Care home UFH wired incorrectly in the Water Underfloor Heating Installations area at PlumbersForums.net

Reaction score
I’m an electrician, a plumber has asked me to look at wiring in a care home for UFH with a system boiler.
Only way to get it to work is run everything constantly.
The wiring center was a mess, i’ve rewired and now working as expected.
However, it appears to me there is an unnecessary valve. On the heating side there is a master valve (S-Plan), then behind this two manifolds with thier own valves. The master valve was wired to be constantly open.
I’ve rewired for it to only open when one of the UFH valves is calling for hot water.
I’ve been told UFH was installed by one company and boiler by another. So I wonder if boiler engineer installed S-Plan, and UFH just fitted to this.
I can’t see any reason for the master valve (S-Plan). I’m gonna suggest to plumber to remove as I just can’t see any reason for it and I think this will simplify installation, what do you think, am I missing something.
To be clear I’m ignoring hot water in this post, that all works fine.

OP
Michael Groves
Reaction score
Photographs might help if you have any?
Unfortunately I’m not back for a while, but photos probably won’t help anyway as the installation is spread out across the property.
To put it another way, the installation has two valves in series. Is that normal with UFH?

OP
Michael Groves
Reaction score
Here's a brief diagram, hopefully this makes more sense than my text.
To recap, I don't see why you need a "Master Valve"

20190226_074439061_iOS.jpg

OP
Michael Groves
Reaction score
You sure it’s not a 3 port would make sense
When you say "3 port" I guess you are referring to Harvest Fields suggestion as opposed to a 3 port valve?

It would then make sense if this was the case. I will double check when I am back, but I was lead to believe there is only UFH.
If this is the case, do you agree the "Master Valve" is superfluous ?

ShaunCorbs

S. Mod
Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
When you say "3 port" I guess you are referring to Harvest Fields suggestion as opposed to a 3 port valve?

It would then make sense if this was the case. I will double check when I am back, but I was lead to believe there is only UFH.
If this is the case, do you agree the "Master Valve" is superfluous ?
No it could be a 3 port zone valve or are you 100% it’s a 2 port

Harvest Fields

S. Mod
Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
I am confused by what you mean by a master valve? Are there just 2 zone valves. If so you have to have these otherwise the under floor would only come on with the water and they will want the underfloor on by itself .

Forum Sponsors

Corgi - Plumbing Supplies for Professional Plumbers - Plumb Advice

Plumbase - Plumbing Parts for Plumbers - Plumbers Advice

Power Shower Booster for Power Showers - Plumbing Advice

Underflor Heating Systems by uHeat - Plumbing Advice

Wetroom Supplies by Wetroom Store

Nicobond - Wetroom and Tiling Supplies - Plumbers Installation Advice

Corgi - Plumbing Supplies for Professional Plumbers - Advice for Plumbers

Do you have a DAB radio for work?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.