Search the forum,

Discuss Card reader 2023 malfunction in the General Off-Topic Chat area at PlumbersForums.net

Ted808

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hey there, is anyone out there? (joke)
Is anyone moving over to card readers this year to avoid non payment? 🤨🤨
My SUMUP reader after about 5years of service has packed up. Blocked and not resettable- need to replace. (cost £20+vat now £39+vat)
So, I was wondering if there's a better/cheaper way to take payments- probably some app I haven't heard of.
SUMUP 1.69% of amount, Square 1.75%....

Did it last year haven’t looked back

I use this one

Gives the customer a printed headed receipt which I think looks good etc

Did it last year haven’t looked back

I use this one

Gives the customer a printed headed receipt which I think looks good etc
Thanks Shaun- yep I had the air version of this and it has really been a blessing but suddenly stopped working.

You tried resetting it ?

They charge 1.69% on all transactions. Not sure what you mean by free account. You also have to buy the reader- the one of your choice
There is no pain you are receding... (joke)

1.69% on payments you take from customers isn't too bad, I think, if that's all SumUp charges, but then last I looked seriously into card readers, I was abroad. And the cost of the reader can be lived with assuming they usually last 5 years.

That said, I seriously hate paying a bank for a service I don't need and prefer cash any day. I declare the income and consider the tax to be for essential public services, but as for the banks...

What I mean by a free business account is, when you take a payment, whether that money goes to a SumUp account and you don't then have to pay a bank a monthly fee for a separate business account into which the funds go each time you take a payment. It looks like the SumUp account also comes with a card you can use for outgoing payments (or you can transfer the money to another account if you prefer). In theory, the Ts and Cs of most personal current accounts prohibit business use. So if SumUp is providing a kind of bank account for free that you can use for your business so long as you buy the card reader off them and pay the 1.69% on incoming payments, then that is tempting.

Last edited:
There is no pain you are receding... (joke)

1.69% on payments you take from customers isn't too bad, I think, if that's all SumUp charges, but then last I looked seriously into card readers, I was abroad. And the cost of the reader can be lived with assuming they usually last 5 years.

That said, I seriously hate paying a bank for a service I don't need and prefer cash any day. I declare the income and consider the tax to be for essential public services, but as for the banks...

What I mean by a free business account is, when you take a payment, whether that money goes to a SumUp account and you don't then have to pay a bank a monthly fee for a separate business account into which the funds go each time you take a payment. It looks like the SumUp account also comes with a card you can use for outgoing payments (or you can transfer the money to another account if you prefer). In theory, the Ts and Cs of most personal current accounts prohibit business use. So if SumUp is providing a kind of bank account for free that you can use for your business so long as you buy the card reader off them and pay the 1.69% on incoming payments, then that is tempting.
I think it's acceptable to use a current account if it's not LTD, and I didn't think of SUMUP as a kind of bank, but I suppose you're right. My card reader lasted about 5.5 years, so not built to last or change the battery- another landfill electronic or recycle.

Yeah banks charge a bloody fortune for nothing- out of interest which bank are you with and what is the monthly fee, and are you LTD? I'm with Barclays but looking to change as the fee is £16 a month and I never use the overdraft, I hardly do big jobs anymore- too old for this sh*t 🤨

Yeah banks charge a bloody fortune for nothing- out of interest which bank are you with and what is the monthly fee, and are you LTD? I'm with Barclays but looking to change as the fee is £16 a month and I never use the overdraft, I hardly do big jobs anymore- too old for this sh*t 🤨
Sole trader. Seeing as my work pattern is more like semi-retired at the moment since I seem to be dealing with various houses more than what is supposed to be my job, I've managed to get away with not having a dedicated business account, so not paying fees at all. The Leeds Building Society allows me to pay cheques in and take electronic payments and the local branch is turning a blind eye to that (technically business use). And the Nationwide doesn't notice the odd card payment going out. Obviously I try to do as much as possible in cash so the Nationwide doesn't notice.

As I don't have a dedicated business account, it means my tax records have to be kept the traditional way. which means logging evidence of income and expenditure, but at least that forces me to keep everything in order.

I did have a business account with HSBC. Think it was a tenner a month, which I never actually paid as I got a trial period for free. They closed my local branch just before that period expired, so I closed the account.

Sole trader. Seeing as my work pattern is more like semi-retired at the moment since I seem to be dealing with various houses more than what is supposed to be my job, I've managed to get away with not having a dedicated business account, so not paying fees at all. The Leeds Building Society allows me to pay cheques in and take electronic payments and the local branch is turning a blind eye to that (technically business use). And the Nationwide doesn't notice the odd card payment going out. Obviously I try to do as much as possible in cash so the Nationwide doesn't notice.

As I don't have a dedicated business account, it means my tax records have to be kept the traditional way. which means logging evidence of income and expenditure, but at least that forces me to keep everything in order.

I did have a business account with HSBC. Think it was a tenner a month, which I never actually paid as I got a trial period for free. They closed my local branch just before that period expired, so I closed the account.
Yes I'm kinda semi retired-or retiring when the phone stops ringing- not looking for customers now but they seem to be looking for me! Thanks for your reply Ric I'm going to close my business acc asap. Have a good day

Reply to Card reader 2023 malfunction in the General Off-Topic Chat area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock