Search the forum,

Discuss Captcha on Registration in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sarkduck

The captcha at registration is ridiculous. Had to refresh about 100 times just to vaguely even guess at one.

if it stops even one spammer it is a good thing. welcome along

If you had to deal with the amount of spammers and trolls we do on a daily basis to keep the UKPF in its acclaimed position as the best plumbing forum on t'interweb bar none you wouldn't complain.

Wlecome to the forum.

Welcome sarduck.

On the other issue, I guess it's a matter of finding the right balance between keeping the spammers and suchlike out, whilst not scaring off the proper potential members.

Glad it's not me that has that thankless task.

Thanks for the welcome.

I appreciate the difficulty in preventing spammers gaining access to the forums (and incidentally, there are a number of scripts that spambots can use to still bypass these kinds of captchas) but it's undoubtedly going to keeping legitimate members away as well.

There are a number of alternatives to captcha that are even more harder for automated spammers to crack whilst simple for real humans.

Here are a few examples:-

This contact form requests a sum.
This demo uses an interactive game.
This blog uses a puzzle related to their target audience.
This enquiry form requires any two random digits.
This [DLMURL="http://confidenttechnologies.com/Confident_CAPTCHA_Demo"]demo[/DLMURL] uses picture recognition.
Many other varieties and ways to handle this. And some in-depth conversation on this.

Perhaps you could use a basic plumbing diagram/question instead - heh.

Anyway, food for thought...

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Captcha on Registration in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I just had a quote for a new boiler install as follows I dont undertand why a 15-60 boiler pump is needed and a 25-100 pump is needed as well I currently have an ideal mexico 2 heat only boiler - It has one DAB pump on the boiler return and a 2 port valve at the flow pipe to allow for heating...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an unvented water heater which for some reason every year causes me issues. At the end of 2023 I noticed that the pressure valve gauge was going up when the water tank was switched on. My local plumber came and re-pressured the expansion vessel as it was flat, afterwards we tested...
Replies
Views
I can’t believe the price of registration these days. How do the justify charging £434 for one guy? Robbing Rubbish bags.
Replies
Views
Hi there, All was good until one day the hot water suddenly started running quite a lot cooler. Putting my hand on the output at the boiler it's still hot there so I'm guessing there's a problem with cold water feeding into the hot water somewhere along the line. I have mixer taps on two...
Replies
Views
What the easiest way to find why my boiler is losing pressure. It is about 5 years old Vaillant combi boiler, we have just had 2 vertical radiator removed and refitted for decorating and now the pressure keeps dropping approx once a week. I guess a leak under the floor is possible, or trapped...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock