Search the forum,

Discuss Capping old hot and cold pipes in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

UK
Looking for some opinions on whether you should cap old hot and cold water pipes. A plumber I got to remove some old sinks from bedrooms has capped off the hot and cold pipes under the floor. I thought it didn’t quite seem like the best thing to do and thought he would completely remove the pipes altogether. I then looked it up and various webpages say this can cause legionnaires bacteria to breed and is a health hazard. Is this correct or is what he has done ok? I also didn’t like the fact that if the caps ever leaked or came off it could flood the ceiling.

problem is he would have to rip up all the floor looking for where the mains runs are / where it joins pipework and the bill would be heavy plus all the floors lifted

problem is he would have to rip up all the floor looking for where the mains runs are / where it joins pipework and the bill would be heavy plus all the floors lifted
Ok, so are they ok to be left alone then? I am a bit uneasy about leaving it. Is it the sort of thing where you could leave it and it’s probably fine just not ideal, or is it really quite bad to leave it like that?

Are they soldered cap ends ?

Unfortunately, you are correct. You should trace the pipes with blind ends back to their source and terminate them there.

Based on what the HSE and NHS say about legionaires' disease I'd say it's "really quite bad" to leave things as you've described. Here's the NHS description:

I've never had it myself but I believe that it's quite nasty if you do.

Better to trace the pipework back to where it's supplied from and cap or better still cut out that section and replace. Kop

If you can pin point the location where the pipe run starts / T's off or whatever, you wont have to rip up the flooring and floor boards along the complete pipe run.

Do the pipes run with the joists so you can put your head in the floor and look where they are coming from?

Reply to Capping old hot and cold pipes in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock