Search the forum,

Discuss Capping off two copper pipes in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello..

Need to cap off two copper pipes...the problem is getting access to a straight piece of copper to do a successful cap, see pictures.

I always prefer to solder.

The floor is reinforced concrete and I would rather not get the power chisel out..

The pipes coming out of the floor are twenty years old..they are teeing off pipes from the original house construction, 1970.

Distance from tiles to tee is about six inches.

I am particularly worried about applying any force on the recent copper as I do not want a leaky tee.

Advice please.

Attachments

• 38A7E93B-470C-4C6D-B1E8-E809B07A8754.jpeg
    38A7E93B-470C-4C6D-B1E8-E809B07A8754.jpeg
    88.8 KB · Views: 18
  • BA32F271-C341-40A0-A0A4-12A58F436C2C.jpeg
    BA32F271-C341-40A0-A0A4-12A58F436C2C.jpeg
    73 KB · Views: 17
  • 6A876F6F-3469-4E25-A307-EBAB08D8F622.jpeg
    6A876F6F-3469-4E25-A307-EBAB08D8F622.jpeg
    67.3 KB · Views: 17
Practice on a bit of spare before going live. It is a bit of a cowboy trick but works in a pinch. See it a lot on older systems.

Practice on a bit of spare before going live. It is a bit of a cowboy trick but works in a pinch. See it a lot on older systems.
If you are going to do this ^ make sure you clean the inside of the pipe well before clamping and I'd add some flux inside as too.

I think I'd prefer to carefully cut flush and use a push-fit cap (e.g. JG speedfit). The danger is spoiling the 'O' ring if the end of the pipe is sharp so I would take a file to the outside edge of the cut to 'round' it off. A little smear of silicone grease might also hep ease it on and seal micro marks on the pipe. If this fails then you've lost nothing but time... so solder away!

If you are going to do this ^ make sure you clean the inside of the pipe well before clamping and I'd add some flux inside as too.

I think I'd prefer to carefully cut flush and use a push-fit cap (e.g. JG speedfit). The danger is spoiling the 'O' ring if the end of the pipe is sharp so I would take a file to the outside edge of the cut to 'round' it off. A little smear of silicone grease might also hep ease it on and seal micro marks on the pipe. If this fails then you've lost nothing but time... so solder away!
Hello and thanks.
Yes I did think about push fit but the pipe is not straight..its too bent and I am not sure it will make a good seal...and due to my age I much prefer solder !

Hello and thanks.
Yes I did think about push fit but the pipe is not straight..its too bent and I am not sure it will make a good seal...and due to my age I much prefer solder !
No worries. Pushfit can be surprisingly forgiving but I prefer solder myself - especially on old pipework.

mke sure you don t have water in them or you will have fun trying to solder them up, if water in get a thin tube and get out as much as poss.

Hello..practice works fine...my soldering is pretty good 🙃 but I am a little nervous about this...the tee to the vertical is about seven inches..I can probably get most of the water out..it looks like the tee is the lowest point in the house so draining with taps is impossible...my paranoia stems from this thread...dire warnings about air expanding and blowing the cap or causing pin hole leaks...in your experience is this a load of w*nk ?

And there is no way way I can access the tee unless I go through six inches of reinforced concrete....well yes that is a way but would rather not..

Thanks again.

Reply to Capping off two copper pipes in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock