Search the forum,

Discuss Capping off sink waste on a washing machine ubend in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi guys, I just installed a new worktop in my utility so I don't need the sink waste anymore (but want to leave fitting there in case next owner may want to put in another sink at a later date). Is there any cap end on the market that will work to just cap it off or what do you guys recommend to do?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201214_223414.jpg
    Screenshot_20201214_223414.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 3
Hi guys, I just installed a new worktop in my utility so I don't need the sink waste anymore (but want to leave fitting there in case next owner may want to put in another sink at a later date). Is there any cap end on the market that will work to just cap it off or what do you guys recommend to do?
Take all the gubbins away until you hit the straight 40 mm pipe then just put a

MCALPINE T23U MULTIFIT BLANKING PLUG WHITE 40MM on it. (Screwfix) keep the rest stored away.

Last edited:
Remove that trap and put a washing machine standpipe. Obviously this will require a lower 11/2” pipe, trace your old sink pipe back - you may be lucky and able to use it . If not you’ll have to put a new one.

Remove that trap and put a washing machine standpipe. Obviously this will require a lower 11/2” pipe, trace your old sink pipe back - you may be lucky and able to use it . If not you’ll have to put a new one.
The OP will experience drain smells when the trap inevitably dries out due to lack of use, though. I suppose the blanking plug could be put on the end of the standpipe, and then it could be removed when required. Gaffer tape would also work, except you could argue it would not be a solution that would comply with Building Regs?

The OP will experience drain smells when the trap inevitably dries out due to lack of use, though. I suppose the blanking plug could be put on the end of the standpipe, and then it could be removed when required. Gaffer tape would also work, except you could argue it would not be a solution that would comply with Building Regs?
That’s what I would do,build it all up and leave the blanking plug on the stand pipe. I wouldn’t worry to much about the next owner maybe wanting specific things. If the standpipe is there then they can buy a trap etc.

That’s what I would do,build it all up and leave the blanking plug on the stand pipe. I wouldn’t worry to much about the next owner maybe wanting specific things. If the standpipe is there then they can buy a trap etc.
Sorry. Possibly I wasn't clear. I meant to say install the standpipe (this includes the trap) and then cap the standpipe so when the trap dries out it doen't matter.

Reply to Capping off sink waste on a washing machine ubend in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock