Search the forum,

Discuss Capped off gas pipe - pressure build up? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, last week we smelled gas and a Southern Gas Network (SGN) engineer came and removed the old fitting attachment on an old pipe in our living room (which he thought looked like an old bayonet fitting for an oven although strange that was in our front room) and capped off the pipe. He tested for pressure etc and confirmed it was all safe. However just now it sounded like the pipes were rattling in the walls. Is it possible for a pipe that's capped off to have pressure build up inside it? I know I sound paranoid but with no idea how these things work I'm worried that we are moments away from an explosion or something. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

It's time to call the emergency gas number below you can never be to careful, the emergency services would rather attend a false alarm than a full blown incident try not to panic turn off your supply off at the meter, ventilate your property don't use any electrical switches, it's highly unlikely that there is a pressure build up but get it checked immediately please report back ? . Regards Kop

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210711-082258.png
    Screenshot_20210711-082258.png
    372 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Old fire poker point

and no would of immediately de pressurised once it’s open

do you smell gas now ?

Reply to Capped off gas pipe - pressure build up? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Non-professional / knowledgeable person here. I'm a Brit in Romania who volunteers for a charity building an old peoples home for needy old people. Out here competence and integrity is harder to come by in a worker, in fact it's hard to find workers at all where we are in the countryside...
Replies
Views
Good afternoon all, First time posting on this site. I’m need of some opinions from Gas engineers if possible. My house is 1930s (I think). I have some very old gas pipes sticking out of random places. Mostly nest to light pendants. This has made me believe it’s an old gas/heat/lightning...
Replies
Views
This issue arose about a year ago. Does anyone have an idea why I occasionally hear (about once every hour or longer) a hammer related noise coming from my copper water pipes when no water is being used? It basically sounds like the noise you hear after the water shuts off when your toilet bowl...
Replies
Views
Good afternoon, I am experiencing a pressure issue with my heating system and was hoping to receive additional insight as to what the problem could be. We have a biomass boiler and stratification tank set up and recently had an issue with boiler pressure dropping off when the system was cold...
Replies
Views
Not sure what my options are here. Basically a friend of mine recommended his father in law to do our plumbing/gas work for our renovation. First job was to install a new boiler, and later install radiators, bathroom, kitchen, etc. The boiler was installed last September but not switched on as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock