Search the forum,

Discuss Cant switch off Hot Water in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Trying to switch off the hot water so I can change the Bathroom taps. Never 100% sure of what we actually have but its a cold water tank in the loft, feeding a cold water tank in an airing cupboard. Theres three Red Valves in the airing cupboard, I've tried each one in turn to close it off, then gave the hot water tap a quick run, each time the hot water flows freely and shows no sign of stopping, although it was only 20 seconds or so that i ran it for.

Am i missing something obvious that i should/could be doing?

Attachments

• IMG_4750.jpg
    IMG_4750.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4751.jpg
    IMG_4751.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4752.jpg
    IMG_4752.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 19
The red gate valve in second picture will isolate cold fill to cylinder. You need to close this and drain a little through the taps to drop the head. Doesn't look like there's a drain off into cylinder either.

Many thanks for both responses, I had no idea that the cold water would shut off the hot, total novice (as you can guess). A little bit more force was required to fully shut off the cold feed and a little more patience to let the water drain and all was fine. Thanks very much for the help and quick response. No doubt I'll have a fresh new post next week once i attempt to fit the new ones!

Never do ever try twisting them thingys..would rather put trunks on and get in the tank and snorkels stick a plug in the ole.
Yes meant for these type systems..

Seems like its stuck open and spun off the spindle. So surprised these things still exist - and seen them in so many wrong places

On Mains water mains.

Un-vented cylinders.

Reply to Cant switch off Hot Water in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock