Search the forum,

Discuss Can't decide which drill set to purchase in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Lee Davies

Gas Engineer
Hey all, looking for a bit of advice from people who have these brands or these particular sets.

I am torn between either the ;

MAKITA DLX2145TJ 18V 5.0AH LI-ION LXT CORDLESS COMBI DRILL & IMPACT DRIVER TWIN PACK

Priced at £299.99

Or

MILWAUKEE M18CBLPP2A-402C 18V 4.0AH LI-ION REDLITHIUM BRUSHLESS CORDLESS COMBI DRILL & IMPACT DRIVER TWIN PACK

Priced at £249.99

Now I know that each has pros and cons such as the 5.0mAh vs the 4.0mAh, but I am not too well up on power drills.

These will be used mainly for affixing radiators, boilers, timber works, programmers etc etc.

Anything such as drilling through an exterior wall for condensates etc I will use my Hilti SDS 110v or a WEKA diamond core drill.

TIA
Lee Davies
Pro-Gas

Thanks for the messages so far :)

I think I will go with the Makita, okay they may be brushed but it's a brand I have heard of for many years, has a larger battery and faster charge time.

I have a foot in both camps and I'd say those kits are much of a muchness. Although not FUEL the milwaukee does claim to be brushless which will probably negate the lesser run time of the 4A battery. The Makita combi is significantly more powerful which may come in handy, what colour do you prefer or maybe check the weight difference if you're not doing HD endurance work with them but the Makita kit by a knats c**k, both excellent platforms imo.

I have a foot in both camps and I'd say those kits are much of a muchness. Although not FUEL the milwaukee does claim to be brushless which will probably negate the lesser run time of the 4A battery. The Makita combi is significantly more powerful which may come in handy, what colour do you prefer or maybe check the weight difference if you're not doing HD endurance work with them but the Makita kit by a knats c**k, both excellent platforms imo.

Cheers GMartine,

Will get the Makita set as I prefer the looks haha.

Advice I was given was buy the best value kit of your chosen brand that comes with a least 2 batteries (of decent ah) and then buy bare tools later.
If you work out the cost, you usually find it is cheaper to buy a brushed twin kit complete with it’s batteries and charger and then buy a brushless bare tool later.
As I said earlier, the Milwaukee from Screwfix offer was £169.99, and then a £10 discount voucher, but the pair of 4ah batteries are worth about £100, the charger I guess about £30, the case at least £20, so good deal even just if needing batteries and spare charger.

I had Makita and batteries have been garbage, luckily I didn’t purchase the tools my employer did. Dewalt have always been a lot of people’s favourite, I personally have Lidl’s own (parkside) as don’t do much drilling now and they have been very good.

May not be the precise model but this guy does for my money pretty much the only tool reviews on youtubes.

Forgive him, he's Canadian.

I’ve got the same drill it’s good

The carpenter that boarded my loft said that they are awesome. But he said to stick with Milwaukee.

Many of these products have the same Chinese roots. Remember, not all components are made by the same companies. Take a drill. The plastic outer shell will be made by one company, the gearbox by another, then you'll have the motor, the electronics, the battery & the packaging all made by others. They will all, quite possibly, get assembled & tested by the 'manufacturer' who may have contracted that work too.

Each of those sub-contractors will be selling their components as far and as wide as possible. It's no different to car manus where many many components fit many many cars. It's the job of manus to keep costs down so they share endlessly.

Companies will only pay peanuts, so component manus need to sell much bigger qtys than reqd by one end user to make a profit via economies of scale in their factories. It's all pretty obvs when laid out.

Therefore, it is quite possible these share many components... Proof however is more difficult to obtain.

Metabo are owned by Hitachi, albeit they're a much smaller player ...

Tool-Brand-Behemoths-Tool-Companies-Who-Owns-What-Brands.jpg

RIP Metabo?
Looking for a small bench grinder, choices = £120 Metabo or £20 screwfix - I went metabo, I've had metabo in the past, generally very good.
Arrived today, it is NASTY JUNK.
Dirty from the factory, massive swarf, patchy paint, faulty casting, rust (yes, rust!).
Looks like Hitachi have hollowed the company out.
Wipes away single tear...
:oops::oops:

20190326_173918.jpg

20190326_173853.jpg

20190326_173834.jpg

It’s sad as QC seems to be slipping more and more these days - flipping heck I sound old :D

Of course on closer inspection it is made in China rather than Germany. Unfortunately it has been made badly, almost certainly not because Chinese manufacturers want to make things badly but because their (mostly western) customers tell them to make it cheaply.
I was also wondering if it might be a knockoff as it's so bad...

It's probably too late as you've more than likely bought already but here is my thinking.

The thing with power tools is look at the specs. I hated my makita impact and drill set as the impact diver was gutless and the drill was even worse when my drill eventually died I was looking at dewalt as I'd used one of the other lads and it beat the socks of mine.

As all my kit is makita I decided I will go with them again went on ITS and went through the specs what you'll notice is there is a big jump once the price goes above something like £300 the specs get a lot better I can't remember what I paid but think it was around £450 and the drill is just as good as my sds and the impact driver I feel performs better than the dewalt and hilti I've tried.

When it comes to batteries I have 1 5ah and feel that I don't really need it the 4ah last almost as long and I don't notice the difference so your better off going for a better set with 4ah batteries than a slightly cheaper set with 5ah batteries.

Remember batteries are where tool manus have moved their profit. All batts now have a chip inside to limit the number of charges. Ostensibly this is because batt chemistry is inherantly dangerous. The fact is though manus have used it to force you to shell our far more than you need.

Aldi or lidl did a 2ah batt recently for £13. It has a THREE year warranty. A 'make' would be 5 times that - PURE profit...

I could never be arsed plus I have a cheap tool aversion but I knew a few tradesman who'd quite happily buy Lidl/Aldi gear and were happy to take'em back when they died within the warranty period and so the cycle of renewel continued. Considering the high risk of theft nowadays it isn't a bad idea but it does I feel perhaps mistakenly reflect on your professionalism? Has anybody actually run one of their (Aldi/Lidl) tools under heavy duty trade use for over three years, I'd like to know to know whether my scepticism or distrust is warranted?

Reply to Can't decide which drill set to purchase in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock