Search the forum,

Discuss Cannot remove kitchen mixer tap spout in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi

A while ago I replaced the o rings in my kitchen mixer tap spout....simply by removing the grub screw at the back of the spout and removing it in seconds. BUT I tried to do the same job on a friends mixer tap which is leaking from the bottom of the spout where it meets the base. HOWEVER there is no grub screw and no shroud etc. The spout is quite wobbly anyway but I tried with a lot of upward force with the spout in EVERY position but it won't budge ...ARE some of these spouts made so as not to be removed which means a new tap?.....many thanks

There is sometimes only one position the spout wil come off, it's keyed.
That point is quite often restricted if the tap is close too the wall.

Pull up on the spout and turn slowly.

Hi ..thanks for the reply...I spent a lot of time on it..a friend even exerted upward pressure on the spout just above the base. At the same time I turned it very slowly all the way from left to right..it even touched the wall on both sides!.tried the same thing over and over again .But although the swivel area is a bit wobbly ( so I don't think it's a limescale corrosion issue) the spout would not release. I think you are correct that the tap might be too close to the back wall just about 3 inches...Therefore I think the " line up key release" would be if I could turn the spout

Hi ..thanks for the reply...I spent a lot of time on it..a friend even exerted upward pressure on the spout just above the base. At the same time I turned it very slowly all the way from left to right..it even touched the wall on both sides!.tried the same thing over and over again .But although the swivel area is a bit wobbly ( so I don't think it's a limescale corrosion issue) the spout would not release. I think you are correct that the tap might be too close to the back wall just about 3 inches...Therefore I think the " line up key release" would be if I could turn the spout beyond the rear of the tap ..but that would mean knocking the kitchen wall down😆!..you think they would put a mark on the bottom of the spout AND the top of the base so the marks could be lined up to release the spout. There are 2 indented notches both on the spout base though ..none on the spout itself. I even lined the tap up in line with the 2 notches..no joy. .Do you think some of these cheap mixer taps are made do you can't remove the spout so have to buy a new tap?

I've never seen one that couldn't be released.
Really!..ok ill give it another go. Bit worried about loosening the tap mount rubber under the sink though..( I had the same kind of problem with changing the mechanism in an old kitchen tap..couldn't get the top off to expose the nut..eventually succeeded though) .I'll let you know how I get on.

Reply to Cannot remove kitchen mixer tap spout in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock