Search the forum,

Discuss Cannot remove cartridge from tap handle. in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, I hope someone can help or point me in the right direction.

We have a leaky kitchen mixer tap. I thought it would be a straight-forward cartridge change but I'm having difficulties removing the actual cartridge from the tap handle. I unscrewed the tap handle from the mixer unit, expecting the cartridge to stay in place but it stays in the handle.

I've tried to loosen it but it seems firmly wedged in place! Taken the grub screws out, still jammed in. Taps are about 8 years old (ignore arrows in image!)

tap1.jpg

Thanks for any advice

If no grub screws holding handle on either put back in tap and move handle up down it may pull off, turn upside down and flood with wd40 and try again if that fail try to get inserts and handles or new tap.

There will be a little grub screw in the chrome handle somewhere.
Like I said, I have removed those to no effect unfortunately
[automerge]1596131290[/automerge]
If no grub screws holding handle on either put back in tap and move handle up down it may pull off, turn upside down and flood with wd40 and try again if that fail try to get inserts and handles or new tap.
Will try & see if it works, although I am not hopeful. Thanks

Edited due to lack of reading the post correctly. Sorry. Long day.

Last edited:
I am thinking maybe to just replace the tap handles - any idea where I can find this type in the UK? I can find some but they would never match up. Thanks

1/4 or 1/2 turn spindles.
In all honesty, it might be easier and cheaper to buy a new tap.
To get the spindles out , you may have to put the handles in a vice and pry them out, but this will probably wreck the chrome on the handles.

1/4 or 1/2 turn spindles.
In all honesty, it might be easier and cheaper to buy a new tap.
To get the spindles out , you may have to put the handles in a vice and pry them out, but this will probably wreck the chrome on the handles.
I think these are 1/2 turn. Looking more like a new tap unit! Thanks

If you have a vice. Trap cartridge, gently tap handle with wood you will find it will come away.

Reply to Cannot remove cartridge from tap handle. in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock