Search the forum,

Discuss Can you please help a complete plumbing novice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

renketsuwarrior

Hi everyone,

I'm really hoping that you'll be able to help me fix what I think is a really simple and minor issue that nonetheless is really bugging my family and me.

The problem is stemming from the shower. It's a mixer type that comes from the wall - almost identical to this one below Thermostatic-Shower-Mixer-LH2205-.jpg
So, recently when we turn on taps around the house (and sometimes the toilet and sometimes just out of the blue) a horrible screeching/banging noise which is pretty loud comes from the left hand bit, together with water dripping from the shower head. If I press or wiggle the bit that turns to turn the shower on/off it stops it. I had a go taking it apart and finally came to something that looked like this:
!Br7IIfQ!Wk~$(KGrHqUOKisEvPFRJWzmBL1)viC2f!~~_35.JPG

I replaced the o-ring, thinking that maybe it was faulty and also put a new hose and shower head on. I made sure that everything was REALLY tight when I secured it all on, but it's worse than ever?

I've quickly videoed it and uploaded it to YouTube so you can see what I mean:
[video=youtube;16IxDXJwP1k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16IxDXJwP1k[/video]

I don't think it's anything major and have no problems at all with getting a plumber in - I respect that someone can be an expert in something I'm not and happy pay for that - but I want to start getting better with this stuff and want to learn what to do if it ever happens again. Like I said at the start - I'm completely new to all this so please be as simple as you can be, treat me as a dumbass!

So, can anyone please advise? It's driving us nuts when it goes off for no reason in the middle of the night!!

Thanks Andy

hiya - yeah the water pressure is pretty good - the shower comes out great and the boiler up in the attic is showing as at 2?

I'm wondering if the water pressure is too high. Presumably you're in a house as opposed to a flat?

If everything is fed off the mains then perhaps a pressure reducing valve might solve the issue. If the pressure is less than 3 bar though then this is unlikely to cure anything. (The boiler pressure is irrelevant because that's for your heating, which is kept separate from the hot and cold water.)

Alternatively, just changing the shower valve (around ÂŁ50 or so from Screwfix) is more likely to cure the problem!

About 6 months ago we had a whole new central heating system fitted - new pipes, radiators, boiler the lot and so I'm pretty certain it all feeds from the boiler in the loft - how would I find out what the pressure is? All I've been looking at is the little dial on the boiler itself which from what you've said is irrelevant haha!

So the shower valve - is that the thing that I've posted a picture of? If so I'll get onto Screwfix now!

You could try changing the shower valve. I talk as a plumber and the hassle it is to try and change a part that is not economical hence talking about changing the whole bar.

As a plumber you visit to see the problem and see what might be needed. Then spend a while looking for the correct cartridge. Return for the second visit to fit the cartridge. Find it doesn't work so talk about changing the bar. Spend another while looking for a valve for a reasonable bar. Then another visit (third!) to change the bar. Three visits, one part, one bar and how much can you charge to cover all your costs? Not enough as the customer will complain that he might have been able to change everything himself for much less! Customer won't be too happy paying for the cartridge because it was found not to work so who pays?

If you're tackling the job on your own, then try looking for that cartridge and change it. Or save a whole load of time and change the bar.

imho, of course!!

Last edited by a moderator:
before buying a new shower maybe you could try replacing your ballcock washer in your cistern.

EDIT. scrap that, never even saw the video.

B&Q are selling a thermostatic bar mixer for ÂŁ60 as part of their Easter sale. Comes complete with new shower head and hose too. New shower would be cheaper than a repair. At that price you can afford to get someone in to fit it too!

wopw thanks to you all so much for the advice - think I'll buy a new shower bar itself - there's a local cheap corner shop that'll prob do them but they're about ÂŁ50odd online/

Thanks again all - much appreciated

Tommy rott! you can tell from the high pitched squealing/grunting thats theres proberly a Gremlin set up shop somewhere in your home, have any mogwais come into contact with water or been fed after midnight?

Tommy rott! you can tell from the high pitched squealing/grunting thats theres proberly a Gremlin set up shop somewhere in your home, have any mogwais come into contact with water or been fed after midnight?
Been on the juice have we TFG? lol

Everyone in the know can tell it was the Borg that assimilated his shower cartridge. Resistance is futile.

B&Q are selling a thermostatic bar mixer for ÂŁ60 as part of their Easter sale. Comes complete with new shower head and hose too. New shower would be cheaper than a repair. At that price you can afford to get someone in to fit it too!

tool station do a complete thermostatic bar and rail set up for ÂŁ38..:deal:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Can you please help a complete plumbing novice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I've got an issue with the shower tray not being totally flat. As you can see from the photos, it is about 7mm out at one side. It's leaning towards the waste end though. The shower tray is pushed underneath the tiles. My mate did the tiling and I now realise that we should have put the shower...
Replies
Views
i can't tell if my shower tap (cock stop) is leaking or not ...............so after showering, the shower head will drip fast for 2 hours, then drip slowly after that...........i put a bucket under the shower head to collect the water for 26 hours the first time.............then 19 hours the...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I've joined the forum today as I've found myself going round in circles with what I think might be a pretty simple problem, hoping someone can help. Our dishwasher is leaking and the manual says this can be fixed by cleaning the water inlet filter. To do this, we need to close the...
Replies
Views
Would like some help please as my Drayton Wiser system is a mess. I had 2 TRVs in the lounge, one in the main bedroom, the rest of the house - 6 other radiators and 2 bathroom towel radiators are just normal valve s. We live in a 4-bed, 3 storey house, as converted loft. Common problems were...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock