Search the forum,

Discuss can you locate a megaflow in the loft? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

ibisti

Hi, could anyone tell me if it is possible to re-locate an existing megaflow into the loft? I have a 125l ( or maybe a 145l I cant look at the moment) situated in an airing cupboard in a small bathroom. I would like to free up the space by getting rid of the airing cupboard and thought moving the megaflow to the loft. The loft is large and unused and I thought it could go where the old cold water tank was. Is this a simple job for a heating engineer and if so would you have any idea of costs involved ( ball park)? I have already replaced the boiler recently so dont want to replace it with a combi.
Many thanks in advance Justin

Yes it can go in the loft , it will need a suitable base to take the weight preferably over a support wall , i would imagine a days labour plus materials would cover it as long as they can use existing pipework in a/c

Ferret, thanks for the reply. Would the roof joists where the cold water tank be reinforced, do you think? If not do you know what the building regs are to up rate the joists to be the same as regular floor joists?
Cheers Justin

Justin 125ltrs water weighs 125kg plus the cylinder etc so say about 160kg total , your storage tank would be 50 gal which is about 181kg so the base should be strong enough as long as you have the hieght , I would however recommend that you board the loft out to the base properly for the engineer to work on

Hi ferret, you are a star for the advice! Just had a look and the joists are 11in apart ( the gap between the timber) and are 2x5in. where the cold water tank was there is 3/4in floor boards. the rest of the loft is all boarded out as well. there is 130cm clearance above where the tank was and the megaflow measures 110 + pipework above, do you think it would fit?
Thanks again Justin

Just had the quote for the moving of the tank and associated elec and pump etc and also fitting a new rad ( I already have) and making it a sealed system ( at the moment it has a small tank in the loft ). 3 days + parts £900. Fair or should I look elsewhere?

Hmm!

Don't forget moving it into the loft reduces the available head of mains water pressure. It may reduce the megaflows performance.

Hmm!

Don't forget moving it into the loft reduces the available head of mains water pressure. It may reduce the megaflows performance.
I've had 2 heating engineers look now but neither made me aware of this after looking at the job. Should I be concerned or have they taken all aspects into consideration do you think? Is there any options in the event of loss of performance I could peruse later?

hi. When fitting in the loft. Running the discharge pipe can be an issue. During last winter i cam across a similar arrangement where the discharge pipe was run from sofit to ground on the outside of building. A drip from the pressure relief valve backed up in the pipe owing to freezing and overflowed on ceiling via tundish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to can you locate a megaflow in the loft? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock