Search the forum,

Discuss can you apply silicone over silicone? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

mutley racers

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Is it possible, say, when you have a leak around a basin, bath or shower from a hole in the silicone. Can you apply a bit on top to cure leak? Or, do you need to renew the whole seal?

You can if it's only a small leak. If the leak is at the edges where the seal is made, it's best to rake it all out with a knife and silicon remover and redo it. If silicon is leaking at any point, my preference is to renew the lot.

Possibly, if the existing silicone is clean enough for the new silicone to stick.
I've always favoured removing the old stuff and renewing the lot.

Prefer to start again, especially if it's not your original job then it makes sure it's done right. Because after your visit any leaks are down to you :)

i hate moving silicone! It can be a laborious job. I bought some of that silicone remover stuff and find it works quite well

i'm with everyone else, best job is to remove all of the silicone and redo it.

On the subject of silicon, a polysulphide based mastic is far better as it seals better, remains more flexible and sticks to anything if the correct brush on primer is used. It can also be used outdoors and the sheet lead sealant you see on sale is this stuff.

Somtimes it can be a pain in the botty to get silicon to adhere to aluminium on some shower frames. Tool station sell the poly stuff.

Silicone doesn't stick to silicone, remove and replace

Surely this is nonsense. The silicone molecules in the middle of a line of silicone which is at neither end, and therefore not spending it's time sticking to, say, a shower tray or row of tiles, must be spending it's time sticking to other silicone molecules.

Anything sticky must stick to itself as the very minimum on a list of what it sticks to. It is part of what it means to be sticky. I'm aware I made my point moments ago but cannot seem to stop saying the words sticky or sticking.

Last edited:
Is it possible, say, when you have a leak around a basin, bath or shower from a hole in the silicone. Can you apply a bit on top to cure leak? Or, do you need to renew the whole seal?

only if you put enough on, id go for 3 or 4 tubes of it

Surely this is nonsense. The silicone molecules in the middle of a line of silicone which is at neither end, and therefore not spending it's time sticking to, say, a shower tray or row of tiles, must be spending it's time sticking to other silicone molecules.

Anything sticky must stick to itself as the very minimum on a list of what it sticks to. It is part of what it means to be sticky. I'm aware I made my point moments ago but cannot seem to stop saying the words sticky or sticking.

When wet and active then yes but silicone drys to have a very non sticky and repellent surface. If it was still able to bind then the very waterproof properties it's used for would be null. As it dries it reacts with itself and bonds to surfaces tightly (hence why it's a pain to remove) but once bound she shall be sticky no more.

But I did enjoy your sticky post lol.

Hmm. Tiles are a very non-sticky and repellent surface aren't they? As are bath-tubs and basins. I'd wager if you took a ball of cured silicone and squished together with a ball of fresh silicone and let it set you'd be hard pushes to separate them. But I've not done this experiment so maybe you're right. I do distinctly remember my old boss telling me you could apply silicone on top of old silcione. And he did know what he was talking about on most things.

Well you can't teach an old dog new tricks so I'll "stick" to the way I've always done it.

Instead of silicone why not melt lead into it........

well, this has turned out to be an interesting thread. I ma excited to see what the out come of someones experiment is. But, no matter what the out come, I shall always strip the lot and replace. After all, the client pays for the first hour whether it's 10 minutes or 60. The full replacement is the better job

There's a good use for all them damn flexis......just glue them round a shower cubicle.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1334617553.344561.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1334617590.428547.jpg
Silicone dried for 24 hours then another blob added. Also pressed some in hard at the other end but 2 pics is enough ;)

Will test its stickiness tomorrow night but I guess it's worth noting that the silicone hasn't exactly been attached to a bath or anything for years.

Sad thing is, I really want to know!! My money is that it sticks well.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1334702445.952189.jpg

Well on silicone only a day or two old even a new batch doesn't adhere well. It didn't exactly drop off, was stuck on but wasn't a good reliable bond.

BUSTED!!!

silicon will not stick to cured silicon is what should have been said and the surface begins to cure very fast so even trying to go over whilst applying is difficult

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to can you apply silicone over silicone? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock