Search the forum,

Discuss can un-vented cylinder can be used in a vented set up in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi

i currently have an very old un insulated vented hot water cylinder that i need replacing.
Water in the cylinder is heated indirectly via gas boiler with an immersion as backup.
Gravity system in place for hotwater tank feed and Water pressure is ok in the house.

I have been offered an indirect cyclone vented cylinder at a great price which also compatible with Solar/Air pump (future proof for when i eventually replace my gas boiler).
I want to do a direct swap out of my cylinder without converting to a unvented setup.
My question is " Can an un-vented cylinder be used in a vented set up" (ie by adding a vent pipe instead of expansion vessel)
The tank is bare minimum at the moment with no accessories attached (ie no expension vessel etc)

thx

Sean

But in your second paragraph you are saying that the new cylinder you have been offered is vented?

apologies, correction I have been offered an indirect cyclone "unvented" cylinder
[automerge]1580480439[/automerge]
Yes you can, whether or not you void the warranty though will be down to manufacturer
thx, my preference for now is to just swap out the existing vented tank without having to do the additional plumbing work that will be required for an install of an unvented system. I didn't see any reason why i couldn't turn it into a vented cylinder setup but just checking if anyone had any good reasons that would persuade me not to. I'm basically getting a new cylinder for a steal and will at least have the option to covert into unvented system in future if required.

Last edited:

Reply to can un-vented cylinder can be used in a vented set up in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock