Search the forum,

Discuss Can someone tell me what this is? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Can someone let me know what this is, and what it does? And what does the thing on the left and the thing on the front do?

It seems to be limiting the flow of water through the pipe, and I want to increase the flow...

20201016_104141.jpg

20201016_104137.jpg

Attachments

• 20201016_104137.jpg
    20201016_104137.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 2
Yep flow reducer / set iso valve it’s slightly shut atm the line should be inline with the pipe

what’s it supplying ?

The bit on the right (2nd photo) is an isolating valve.
The other side has a flow limiter inside it, these can usually be replaced with the appropriate value limiter (eg 2 lpm, - 20 lpm).
As Shaun says , your isolator appears to be partially closed which won’t be helping - start off by opening this fully.

Yep flow reducer / set iso valve it’s slightly shut atm the line should be inline with the pipe

what’s it supplying ?
It's supplying some kind of inline water heater before being fed to the hot tap. A water heater which isn't heating. The company that makes them says it requires a minimum flow of 1.2l. I suspect that's why it's not working.

I did try turning it earlier, just to see if it was limiting the flow, but it wouldn't budge and I didn't want to force it without knowing what it actually did.

I'll try again tomorrow - with a bigger screwdriver!

Is there any trick or tip for loosening stiff valve btw (eg. wd40?), or just brute force it?

The front slot should be inline to the letter r a decent set of pliers should do it

Or it could be in correct position to allow the right amount of flow through the water heater for it to get hot and the water heater is Kerput

Its a wondavalve ( spelt something like that ) it will have a coloured cartridge inside to suit the amount of flow you required at whatever , tap , boiler , valve etc etc

You can also install them without a flow-limiting insert and then you just have a nice full-bore valve.

Unfortunately, leaving this kind of valve half-open is likely to increase the risk of it seizing. Try not to use brute force in freeing it off.

If that's seized don't use a screwdriver, you'll snap the brass. A small set of adjustables over the flats would be a safer option.
Also, have you used a measuring jug to check the flow, as mentioned above that will have been set originally to protect the heater.

ok, I adjusted it and got it working. When the flow was too much the water was just luke warm - apparently too fast to heat it - and if it wasn't enough it was cold. I had to really fine tune it to get it to heat the water properly. But fixed now.

Thanks.

Reply to Can someone tell me what this is? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock