• Welcome to PlumbersForums.net - The international free plumbing advice forum. Professional plumbers sharing advice with fellow plumbers and DIY alike. Register for free today! - Checkout the Plumbing Advice forum and then our Plumbing Videos area which still needs populating.

From the United States of America? - Checkout our specific plumbing forum for you:USA Plumbing Forum

Discuss Can someone tell me what this is? in the Valves & Taps area at PlumbersForums.net

D

darkh

Can someone let me know what this is, and what it does? And what does the thing on the left and the thing on the front do?

It seems to be limiting the flow of water through the pipe, and I want to increase the flow...

20201016_104141.jpg

20201016_104137.jpg

Attachments

ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs

Staff member
S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Yep flow reducer / set iso valve it’s slightly shut atm the line should be inline with the pipe

what’s it supplying ?

B

Ben-gee

Esteemed
Plumber
The bit on the right (2nd photo) is an isolating valve.
The other side has a flow limiter inside it, these can usually be replaced with the appropriate value limiter (eg 2 lpm, - 20 lpm).
As Shaun says , your isolator appears to be partially closed which won’t be helping - start off by opening this fully.

OP
D

darkh

Yep flow reducer / set iso valve it’s slightly shut atm the line should be inline with the pipe

what’s it supplying ?
It's supplying some kind of inline water heater before being fed to the hot tap. A water heater which isn't heating. The company that makes them says it requires a minimum flow of 1.2l. I suspect that's why it's not working.

I did try turning it earlier, just to see if it was limiting the flow, but it wouldn't budge and I didn't want to force it without knowing what it actually did.

I'll try again tomorrow - with a bigger screwdriver!

Is there any trick or tip for loosening stiff valve btw (eg. wd40?), or just brute force it?

ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs

Staff member
S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer
The front slot should be inline to the letter r a decent set of pliers should do it

Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Or it could be in correct position to allow the right amount of flow through the water heater for it to get hot and the water heater is Kerput

townfanjon

townfanjon

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Its a wondavalve ( spelt something like that ) it will have a coloured cartridge inside to suit the amount of flow you required at whatever , tap , boiler , valve etc etc

Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Its a wondavalve ( spelt something like that ) it will have a coloured cartridge inside to suit the amount of flow you required at whatever , tap , boiler , valve etc etc
That was my thinking mate

Reply to Can someone tell me what this is? in the Valves & Taps area at PlumbersForums.net. Plumbing questions, answers, tips and tricks.

Most Viewed Threads