Search the forum,

Discuss Can remove limescale from unvented direct cylinder (center store) in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

S

stelio

I have an unvented direct cylinder from centerstore to use it only for hot water CenterStore direct unvented cylinder 120ltr | Wolseley - https://www.wolseley.co.uk/product/centerstore-direct-unvented-cylinder-120-ltr/ but with two immersion heaters.
I had it the cylinder working fine for 4-5 years but now the upper resistance has broken and it seems due to limescale and debris and I am also concerned with the electrical consumption....
my plumber told me that there is no way to get the limescale out of the cylinder as it is and I was looking for a second opinion
Removing limescale with hoover / pump would work for my circumstances?

If it’s loose yes but if it’s solid / stuck to the walls no best option new cylinder and sort the limescale issue out eg softener

I've had some success with Fernox DS3 have a read up it really depends on how bad it is you will definitely need a decent wet vac to suck out the dissolved debris and it's a messy job . Kop

Attachments

• 61027-Limescale-Remover-DS-3-2kg.pdf
    132.6 KB · Views: 8
Is the water in your area known for be very hard?

Assuming this is a typical domestic setup, the upper 'boost' element will get much less use compared with the lower 'Economy 7' main element. If so, it's surprising that the upper element has failed due to scale before the the lower element.

Was the 'scale' diagnosis confirmed by removing the upper element and making a direct visual check of the interior?

Five years seems a bit soon to require a new cylinder, even in a hard water area.

Reply to Can remove limescale from unvented direct cylinder (center store) in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi having trouble finding a local plumber to fit a direct unvented cylinder. Advertised on 3 board's but with no response. I have posted a budget of £1000 is this too low? This is for hot water only not heating. Kevin
Replies
Views
Hi Lads/lasses just wanted some advice on unvented cylinder inspection. I just took on what seems to be a contract for a block of flats all with direct heating via immersion. The way they have been installed seems a bit off as there is no check valve on the supply to the cylinder. It goes, Stop...
Replies
Views
I'm looking at getting an unvented cylinder fitted as i'm redoing the bathroom, at the moment its a direct system, but next year I'm looking to swap to an airsource heat pump. Can a high efficiency indurect cylinder be used as a direct one i.e add 2 elements,. Just so i can th en plumb in the...
Replies
Views
Hi, some professional advice would be greatly appreciated, We are having an Unvented Cylinder installed into our 2 bedroom ground floor flat. I have had a few quotes and been given lots of differing advice, this always makes me wary, especially having suffered a history of poor quality work by...
Replies
Views
UK rules. Can I use PEX/ PCV/ plastic pipes instead of copper, when I replace hot water cylinder? I want to replace old Tribune model with new Megaflo, both are unvented direct cylinder. With new unit comes combination valve and all the bits and bobs. Can I replace existing copper pipes...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock