Search the forum,

Discuss Can my leaking mixer tap be fixed? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all, our kitchen mixer tap is leaking from the base of the swan neck. I texted a plumber and he told me I new a new tap but I'd like to think there's hope as far as repairing it (it's less than 4 years old). I've tried to examine it myself (I'm just a homeowner) but I cannot see any of the grub screws that would enable disassembly that I've seen in youtube videos etc, so I've not been able to remove the swan neck or either of the taps.

When the previous tap stopped working I think I removed the whole thing from the sink but it was an absolute swine of a job - access underneath was extremely awkward owing to the shape of the sink. So while I'd like to be able to fix this myself I'm not willing to tackle that bit myself, not again!

Can anyone help? :)

IMG_5638.JPG

Likely a perished o-ring. Grub screws are usually round the back so concealed slightly. Check with a mirror if you can, likely an Allen key type too.

Could also be that one of the hot or cold inserts is letting by and equalls the amount of water leaking from bottom of spout so i put new tap in.

If there is no grub screw visible, it might be that the swan neck can be withdrawn upwards when it's in a particular position. I had one where you rotated the tap neck to point backwards (towards the window in your case), and the neck just pulled out.
You could try rotating it while gently pulling upwards, and see if you can feel a position where there's a 'notch'.

Likely a perished o-ring. Grub screws are usually round the back so concealed slightly. Check with a mirror if you can, likely an Allen key type too.
Thanks: I'm kicking myself for not thinking of a mirror! I can now see a hole where a grub screw might be hiding: will let you know how I get on. There's only one of these, in the middle, so presumably that's just for releasing the swan neck? There really are no screws visible for the taps - how might they be released?

If there is no grub screw visible, it might be that the swan neck can be withdrawn upwards when it's in a particular position. I had one where you rotated the tap neck to point backwards (towards the window in your case), and the neck just pulled out.
You could try rotating it while gently pulling upwards, and see if you can feel a position where there's a 'notch'.
Thanks, Basher. I've heard of this and wondered mine was the same but can't feel any notch, and I've actually just found a screw hole.

Thanks. I'm going to try a bit more investigation before I splash out on a new tap.
My slow brain finally realised I should actually contact the people who installed the tap in case they'd be willing to repair it, which they did! I think the guy just added some PTFE tape to the swan neck joint and all is fine! Thanks to everyone for your help.

Reply to Can my leaking mixer tap be fixed? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock