Search the forum,

Discuss Can I terminate a rainwater down pipe into a waste water gully outside the kitchen? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

kev

Hi
Just came across a customer whom had an extension built many years ago but It seems as though the builder forgot to allow for rainwater to be terminated.
He's run a rain water pipe all the way from the back of the single storey extension, along the side and to the front of the house.
This obviously has a fall.
From that point it then runs across the front of the house under the doorstep to a rain water gully.
The gully is now having to cope with the front and back drainage.
Is there any reason why I cannot terminate a down pipe at the rear of the house and into the kitchen sink gully?

You would have to confirm with the drainage company eg United utilities or who ever you local one is might be the water board
That is is acceptable to have a combined system eg putting rain water into to the drainage system

You would have to confirm with the drainage company eg United utilities or who ever you local one is might be the water board
That is is acceptable to have a combined system eg putting rain water into to the drainage system
Hi Shaun. I've researched this and although not illegal...and why would it be?, I do understand that the relevant water authority would like to know about this. The outcome would be an adjustment to the water bill. Not sure why when this is just rain water falling into a waste water drain. After all...when you think of surface water dissipating, lots go into the waste water drain anyway.
[automerge]1591814654[/automerge]
Hi Shaun. I've researched this and although not illegal...and why would it be?, I do understand that the relevant water authority would like to know about this. The outcome would be an adjustment to the water bill. Not sure why when this is just rain water falling into a waste water drain. After all...when you think of surface water dissipating, lots go into the waste water drain anyway.
I've worked out that I'm going to redirect the builders rain water pipe to the manhole regardless. It's not waste water entering a rain water system but the other way round, so don't see the concern.

The concern is with volume. If the drainage system is overrun with rainwater during a heavy storm , then what comes out of the overfull system is raw sewage.

Reply to Can I terminate a rainwater down pipe into a waste water gully outside the kitchen? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock