Search the forum,

Discuss Can I install a reversed P-trap in a run of pipe to sink? raise w-pipe in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, I would appreciate any help on the below please.

Can I install a reversed P-trap in a run of pipe from my sink to raise pipe?

I have an existing waste pipe that disposes the washing machine waste, I am adding a sink to the configuration by connecting a T to the existing waste pipe and taking the run of pipe to my sink. This T is above the existing P-Trap into the house (please see pictures).

The problem I have is when trying to create the run to the sink, I am faced with a UFH manifold that I have to go around.. I would rather go under this and keep my waste pipe closer to the wall. Or it will be an unsightly hack of waste pipe in front of the manifold!

The sink waste will be above this set up.

Can you please let me know if...

A) this is okay and would work? (Is safe)
B) would I need another p-trap for the sink or could I just pipe into the new pipe?
C) do I need a bottle trap for the new sink? (Could avoid to keep sink space clear)
D) any other solution?

Hope that all makes sense (it sort of does in my head - hard to detail what goes on in there :) )

Thanks
GBP

Attachments

• 20220908_082648_resized.jpg
    20220908_082648_resized.jpg
    717.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 20220907_215053.jpg
    20220907_215053.jpg
    483.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 20220907_215126.jpg
    20220907_215126.jpg
    382.2 KB · Views: 13
No you can’t

Tee into the 11/2 before the existing p trap

No you can’t

Tee into the 11/2 before the existing p trap
Thanks so much for the quick reply Shaun.

I think I'm over complicating it to get a 'tidy' finish.

I didn't want to Tee into the 1 1/2 as it would push the other pipe further to the right too much.

Would this new way work (please see image - will obviously do it properly)..
Keep the Tee in the new position but run the pipe direct to the sink with 2 elbows and put the p-trap or a bottle trap under the sink direct?

Or can I not have a sink waste going to a p-trap link this?

Cheers again
GBP

Attachments

• 20220908_095248.jpg
    20220908_095248.jpg
    492.5 KB · Views: 18
Sorry at work

I wouldn’t double trap it

You could cut the 11/2 pipe with the coupling on install a new solvent tee either to replace the coupling if the distance between the elbow and coupling is enough for your new tee socket then you could shorten back the right hand section to suite

Sorry at work

I wouldn’t double trap it

You could cut the 11/2 pipe with the coupling on install a new solvent tee either to replace the coupling if the distance between the elbow and coupling is enough for your new tee socket then you could shorten back the right hand section to suite

No prob, you've been really helpful so far - so thanks Shaun.

With your solution, I am worried about the new Tee into the existing pipe pushing waste back to the washing machines P-Trap.. would that be an issue? (Should I use a long Wye?)

I have attached a new idea, normally this is just set up directly under a sink, but would it work in this instance?

I will install this trap with 2 inlets (one for washing machine other for drip from boiler) in this location.. elbow off existing pipe..
And will then extend the sinks waste pipe to the bottom of the sink..

Please let me know if this is okay?

If not, I'll go with your solution (Tee into existing and keep washing machine standpipe)

Thanks for all of your help so far.

Cheers
GBP

Attachments

• 20220908_152432.jpg
    20220908_152432.jpg
    447.2 KB · Views: 10
You can do that but it’s not the best

You can do that but it’s not the best
Thanks Shaun.

I'll get the base units set up and see which'll be the best position wise and complete that.

Just to confirm though please, the way you advised (tee into the existing) there wouldn't be any issues with water/waste hitting the exisiting washing machine P-Trap would there?

thanks GBP

No but if it ever blocks down stream likely to flood your washing machine

Reply to Can I install a reversed P-trap in a run of pipe to sink? raise w-pipe in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock