Search the forum,

Discuss Can I install a pump on horizontal pipes? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nomad

I have a DAB circulating pump attached to horizontal pipes in my basement. It is located about 3 feet below the boiler, and on the floor underneath it are 2 old Grundfos pumps. From this I deduce that the previous owners have had pump problems in the past. The reason I had to check it out is the pump stopped working. I managed to start it by spinning the bit in the middle with a screw-driver, but the next day it stopped again.

I am wondering if it needs replacing, but also wanted to figure out if there is a more serious issue (due to the 2 old pumps on the floor!). So, I have 2 questions: First, is it OK to have the pump mounted on horizontal pipes, and secondly, is having the pump at the lowest point in the entire sytem part of my problem? Thanks.

First, is it OK to have the pump mounted on horizontal pipes,
Yes. But the pump shaft must be horizontal. Grundfos say:

Where pumps can only be installed in horizontal pipework, it is imperative that the pump shaft is horizontal, or slightly higher at the vent plug end. The shaft must not fall below the horizontal plane, even by a few degrees, as this causes premature wear of the top bearing and shaft.
Pumps should not be installed with the shaft in a vertical plane, as this may lead to dry running of the top bearing, noise and possible pump failure.

is having the pump at the lowest point in the entire sytem part of my problem?
Shouldn't cause any problem.

It might be worthwhile stripping down the old Grundfos pumps (four Allen screws) and finding out what the damage is (jammed/broken impeller etc).

Basic central heating design . You do NOT put the pump at the lowest point ! As you have correctly observed your pump has been changed before. Sludge , sediment etc . I would have a look at cleaning / flushing and if possible move the pump. This is usually easy in a cellar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Can I install a pump on horizontal pipes? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, I have an old Combi boiler for which the heating has stopped working. The hot water is fine, and I think I've isolated the problem to the pump. The pump is a Grundfos Alpha2, and it has usually has two numbers, but it is instead showing two dashes ( -- ). I think the propeller isn't...
Replies
Views
Good afternoon, I am experiencing a pressure issue with my heating system and was hoping to receive additional insight as to what the problem could be. We have a biomass boiler and stratification tank set up and recently had an issue with boiler pressure dropping off when the system was cold...
Replies
Views
Hi All, Looking for a bit of advice on the best way to pipe this. - 24kW Worcester regular boiler in kitchen, approx. 9 years old - unvented tank, zone vavles, pump, expansion is on first floor in airing cupboard - Currently piped as S-plan. - Hive controls. - Would like to fit 6-zone...
Replies
Views
Hi. I'm currently estimating on installing a new shower pump to feed an existing bath/shower diverter. Hot side: fit flange and spherical valve and Y strainer to old cylinder, reduce to 15 mm and to pump flexi and reconnect existing hot distributing pipe. Repair shelf in AC and fit twin...
Replies
Views
Hello, recently our boiler stopped working properly, causing a lack of heat in our 14-radiator splitter in 3 storeys. having only one boiler at time it kind of working, only for one at time (and partially hot), depending on the priority in the system. We contacted Valliant for assistance...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock