Search the forum,

Discuss Can I have a plume kit fitted to my 15-year old Glowworm CXi? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello everyone.

The flue from my glowworm CXi boiler sticks out the side wall of our house in front of the kitchen window. It's around a metre away so isn't a safety issue, but it's a bit annoying all the same as it's directly in the line of sight.

A bit of research suggests that a 'plume kit' could be added to take the plume upwards. My boiler is 15 years old, however, and the pictures I've looked at seem to suggest that my flue pipe might be an older one that cannot have the plume kit fitted to it? Ie, I think mine has a fixed outlet nozzle, whereas newer ones are detachable so the plume kit end can be fitted? Have I got this right?

If so, it probably wouldn't be worth the cost if the whole flue would need replacing too.

Thanks.

As the seasons change and it warms up you won't notice the plume so much for next six months or so, I'd leave it till you change the boiler plus this is not a DIY job.

I'd just like to know if it can be done to my existing flue before I trouble a GasSafe to come out and quote; I won't bother if it also entails an actual flue change as that would surely not be worth it (even tho' it's a straight flue).

Roughly what sort of figure are we talking about? Ground floor, easy access?

Thanks.

I'm afraid you wont get prices here (forum policy) nor can anyone tell without eyes and hands on the job or looking at very detailed photos. Call a GS engineer and find out.

Would need the flue changing

Ah - thanks, Shaun. I feared as much :-(

Yes, it's an oldie, Gasmk1, but still going solidly (it's had most of its parts replaced...) so would have happily added the plumie if it would have been straight-forward.

Ok - cheers.

Yup! In its time it's had a main and secondary exchanger, RH hydrobloc, pump, PCB, and lawd knows what else, mostly - thankfully - covered by extended warranties.

It's a beaut :cool:

Reply to Can I have a plume kit fitted to my 15-year old Glowworm CXi? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

have a mixture of radiators range between 25 & 60 years old.Im having a new boiler fitted, do I change all the rads or just the old ones? Cheers
Replies
Views
Hi, So i have lived in my house for 20+ years, (1990 build) its a detached property, corner plot with various manholes in the garden. In the last year I've noticed i can hear when my neighbor flush their toilet through my downstairs toilet - this is a relatively new thing, so am assuming its...
Replies
Views
Hi, my wife decided she wanted new modern bathtaps instead of the old 'supertaps' we've had since we bought the place. So we bought the new taps and I tried fitting them yesterday but the new taps don't have the same fitting length as the old ones, this wasn't aproblem on the hot supply as...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
We had a Gloworm Energy 7 30r Boiler fitted in Jan 22 to replace a British Gas Boiler (which was a Glowworm Rebranded ) when the heat exchanger split after 10 years. The old boiler had a pressure gauge on the fascia but this new model is not fitted with one. After it was all fitted I queried...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a leak on the live side of one of my rads, in the GF loo. Its a condensing combi system, the house is only 5 years old, so fairly new. The leak is at the bottom compression fitting on the lockshield rad valve. The rad is a chromed steel towel rail, and the valve is brass/copper, the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock