Search the forum,

Discuss Can I have a plume kit fitted to my 15-year old Glowworm CXi? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello everyone.

The flue from my glowworm CXi boiler sticks out the side wall of our house in front of the kitchen window. It's around a metre away so isn't a safety issue, but it's a bit annoying all the same as it's directly in the line of sight.

A bit of research suggests that a 'plume kit' could be added to take the plume upwards. My boiler is 15 years old, however, and the pictures I've looked at seem to suggest that my flue pipe might be an older one that cannot have the plume kit fitted to it? Ie, I think mine has a fixed outlet nozzle, whereas newer ones are detachable so the plume kit end can be fitted? Have I got this right?

If so, it probably wouldn't be worth the cost if the whole flue would need replacing too.

Thanks.

As the seasons change and it warms up you won't notice the plume so much for next six months or so, I'd leave it till you change the boiler plus this is not a DIY job.

I'd just like to know if it can be done to my existing flue before I trouble a GasSafe to come out and quote; I won't bother if it also entails an actual flue change as that would surely not be worth it (even tho' it's a straight flue).

Roughly what sort of figure are we talking about? Ground floor, easy access?

Thanks.

I'm afraid you wont get prices here (forum policy) nor can anyone tell without eyes and hands on the job or looking at very detailed photos. Call a GS engineer and find out.

Would need the flue changing

Ah - thanks, Shaun. I feared as much :-(

Yes, it's an oldie, Gasmk1, but still going solidly (it's had most of its parts replaced...) so would have happily added the plumie if it would have been straight-forward.

Ok - cheers.

Yup! In its time it's had a main and secondary exchanger, RH hydrobloc, pump, PCB, and lawd knows what else, mostly - thankfully - covered by extended warranties.

It's a beaut :cool:

Reply to Can I have a plume kit fitted to my 15-year old Glowworm CXi? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Can anyone recommend a decent multi meter, preferably under a 100 pounds. It's for checking boiler components so I don't need a top spec one ....just easy to use and reliable. The fluke 115 looks good but its above my budget. My current socket and see one was great but it's developed a fault.
Replies
Views
I have an ideal vogue max S18 boiler and I’m considering fitting auto balancing TRVs, my question relates to the boilers pump. I see a boiler pump menu for either 70% or 100%, so, is the pump set at either one of two fixed speed percentages or does the pump actually vary speed, (modulate)...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
I am in process of replacing an existing sink with a new stainless steel one. The existing tap is plumbed directly to copper which means that it is earthed. The new tap will use flexible tails and so will not be earth bonded. My initial search for information suggests that there is no legal...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock