Search the forum,

Discuss Can I get some advice? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,

I am new to London and am interested in becoming a plumber. I have no experience and no qualifications. I am also 29. I know that I am extremely late to the party. I have been trying to find the best course of action to take to build a good career. So much muddled information it can be confusing.

I have found some NVQ courses at Able skills /options skills. Are training schools useful? The price is high but I am willing to eat that cost if it allows me to be able to progress. Apprenticeship doesn't work for me because I need a job that can support my family. Is that possible to get a plumber job after finishing these courses?

Best Regards,
Wilson

Hello Wilson and welcome to plumbers forums,

There’s a lot of negativity about fast track courses, and can only recommend (on my experience) a locally based college. I needed to build a portfolio as part of my course, and I’m thinking it’s still the same. Once you enroll in a college, they may be able to help with employment, or you can approach a company who may be looking for a plumbers mate, or semi skilled, just until you can build up your experience?

Problem you will have is the after the training part. No matter what promises are made during training finding somebody willing to take you on will be very difficult due to lack of experiance. Even a fistful of certs won`t help.

Put training in the little search box and have a look at threads on training you may find them enlighting.

Hello Wilson and welcome to plumbers forums,

There’s a lot of negativity about fast track courses, and can only recommend (on my experience) a locally based college. I needed to build a portfolio as part of my course, and I’m thinking it’s still the same. Once you enroll in a college, they may be able to help with employment, or you can approach a company who may be looking for a plumbers mate, or semi skilled, just until you can build up your experience?

thank you very much!

So the college needs two years for training? Any intensive college course that is available
[automerge]1596124817[/automerge]
Problem you will have is the after the training part. No matter what promises are made during training finding somebody willing to take you on will be very difficult due to lack of experiance. Even a fistful of certs won`t help.

Put training in the little search box and have a look at threads on training you may find them enlighting.

thank you!
[automerge]1596125526[/automerge]
To sum it up No.
You'll spend thousands and come away with limited practical skills. It's not a case of paying for a qualification and then earning 10's of thousands of pounds.

It may sound harsh, but it's the reality.

Why plumbing?

Hi Simon, thanks your advice.

I don’t expect paying for a qualification and earn a huge money. Life isn’t easy when you need to take care your family. I know that’s hard to get a job if you have no experience. Is that possible to become a plumber mate/ labour after finishing these courses?

College/ Apprenticeship seem no the best way for me because the situation not allows me to earn 5 pounds/ hr only.........and it lasts for 2 years...

Last edited:
thank you very much!

So the college needs two years for training? Any intensive college course that is available

Yes, 2 years for level 2 and 2 years for level 3, if I remember it correctly. Don’t think colleges do intensive. Why the rush?

Reply to Can I get some advice? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock