Search the forum,

Discuss Can I cut a shower tray? in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Hey there,

I purchased a black slate shower tray from a supplier. The supplier recommended that we cut it down to our required size. Is this good practice/possible? Some plumbers I speak to say absolutely not to. Others seem OK with the idea.

I hope to cut it down to around 1600x700. Cutting the width seems to be a problem with some since it will place the waste off centre. Im not sure if this is a practical concern or just a visual one?

The tray is a KRISTAL SLATE 1700 x 800 Shower Tray in Black.

Any advice welcome, thanks!

I'm skeptical – ask the supplier to provide a 'Methods Statement' for safely and accurately cutting the tray or talk to someone who has actually done it successfully.

If it's possible, can't you take 50mm off each side to keep the drain in the centre? It's going to look rather amateurish if it's 100mm off-centre.

I have a feeling that the minimum width permitted by building standards for a shower cubical is 760mm. I recommend that you check this point before committing.

You need to be talking to a tiler about cutting the slate tray, cutting is a major part of their work.

Better still take it to somewhere that does granite worktops cutting, they'll have a saw suitable for cutting that size.

If the tray has a lip around the edge you'll need to cut all 4 sides and cut the lip off otherwise it will look odd.

Is it like this?

Slate shower.PNG

Last edited:

Reply to Can I cut a shower tray? in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock