Search the forum,

Discuss Can an existing open flame gas fire be serviced? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

We have an existing open flame gas fire ( installed years ago) we are now told it needs to be taken out because it is lit by hand and gas regulations say it is illegal, the engineer wouldn’t service it. Our previous gas safe engineer has retired but he never mentioned any problems, they tell us the regulations have changed recently and gas fires can’t be lit by hand even if they are an existing installation, how can we check this, thanks?

I know its been in for a while but you really do need flame failure detection to shut off the gas supply. Relying on a human to control the gas supply is too scary for me. I dont service fires per se but also i have not come across a fire that has not got flame failure shut off

From a regulation perspective it centres around the MI’s and BS 5871.

However, the catch all is normally the lack of a readable data plate attached to the appliance which is a stated requirement.

The Thorn/EMI Housewarmer S backboiler has a gas fire front which is either lit by hand or using a tiny pilot light (about a third of a gas cigarette lighter in size) (which can be turned off with a screwdriver). The boiler data plate included the fire front. There is no flame failure device on the fire itself. Manufacture ceased in 1981.

My mother still had such a boiler in the late 2000s. When serviced, we were told the fire front pilot had to be left turned off, but we could light it with a match. Possibly the RGI decided not to be too finicky and didn't condemn the fire because we'd lived with that boiler for over 20 years and were familiar with it?

The only time we had a dangerous situation was when the dog set her tail alight, which a flame failure device would not have detected (luckily we knew the dog was stupid and kept an eye out).

Reply to Can an existing open flame gas fire be serviced? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock