Search the forum,

Discuss Can a TMV fail on such a way as to create a 'short circuit' from cold to hot? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, everyone - I hope someone can point out the obvious thing that I'm sure I've overlooked.

I have a DHW problem.

I have a 210 litre indirect cylinder (Megaflo) with secondary circulation.

There are 9 'drops' off the hot loop - all at the far end of the loop. Not all of the pipe run is accessible without breaking into walls - which I'd like to avoid.

Problem - when hot water is run from any outlet, all is well for about 5 minutes. It seems to be volume Independant - shower or bath tap it's still about 5 mins.
After that the water turns cold - at all outlets.
When in the 'failed' condition, the cylinder outlet pipe is HOT so it's not a 'not enough water' problem - however the hot return is cold.

Just to make diagnosis a pain, several of the tmvs have no isolation valves - either on the feed pipe or built in.

How do I diagnose this? Anyone have any ideas?

could be mixing the water luke warm so would try a new tmv valve first

Thanks - but the water turns cold at ALL outlets simultaneously - not just the one being used. Once it's gone cold, there's no hot water anywhere for an hour or so - even though there's hot water in the tank.

would say its an issue with the tank heating then

Hi, everyone - I hope someone can point out the obvious thing that I'm sure I've overlooked.

I have a DHW problem.

I have a 210 litre indirect cylinder (Megaflo) with secondary circulation.

There are 9 'drops' off the hot loop - all at the far end of the loop. Not all of the pipe run is accessible without breaking into walls - which I'd like to avoid.

Problem - when hot water is run from any outlet, all is well for about 5 minutes. It seems to be volume Independant - shower or bath tap it's still about 5 mins.
After that the water turns cold - at all outlets.
When in the 'failed' condition, the cylinder outlet pipe is HOT so it's not a 'not enough water' problem - however the hot return is cold.

Just to make diagnosis a pain, several of the tmvs have no isolation valves - either on the feed pipe or built in.

How do I diagnose this? Anyone have any ideas?
Hello,
It sounds to me as though you have correctly diagnosed this one.
You need to find the faulty valve.

In answer to the original question, Yes a Non return valve in the TMV can fail and cause Cold to flow to Hot, but only if the pressure of the Cold water is higher than the Hot pressure.

Is the Cold to the taps the same pressure as the Hot, i.e fed from the balanced connection on the inlet control valve?

Is the Secondary pump working and moving water?
Is the pump in the Return or Flow?
Where does the return pipe join into the Cylinder, 1/3rd of the way down or ?, or does it join into the cold supply to the cylinder?
Is there a Non return valve in the Return close to the Cylinder?

Can you get access to all the TMV's at the outlets, not to shut them off but to feel the temperature on the hot and cold pipes to them?

In answer to the original question, Yes a Non return valve in the TMV can fail and cause Cold to flow to Hot, but only if the pressure of the Cold water is higher than the Hot pressure.

Is the Cold to the taps the same pressure as the Hot, i.e fed from the balanced connection on the inlet control valve?

Is the Secondary pump working and moving water?
Is the pump in the Return or Flow?
Where does the return pipe join into the Cylinder, 1/3rd of the way down or ?, or does it join into the cold supply to the cylinder?
Is there a Non return valve in the Return close to the Cylinder?

Can you get access to all the TMV's at the outlets, not to shut them off but to feel the temperature on the hot and cold pipes to them?

Cold taps fed directly off the cold main, cylinder fed from a separate connection to the cold main. Balanced connection is unused (I know - but I didn't install it)
Secondary pump (new) is definitely running although I've no way to know what the flow is like other than 'some' based on the fact that the return does get hot. Pump is in the return right next to the tank.
Hot return connects to the cold feed via a non return valve
Yes I can access the feed pipes in all but one case - and I can isolate that one for testing.

I think i know where you're going with this - problem - if it's failed cold to hot, both feeds will be cold - and they are - both at the outlet that's open and all the rest.

Reply to Can a TMV fail on such a way as to create a 'short circuit' from cold to hot? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock