Search the forum,

Discuss Can a pipe be capped off with a radiator valve? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I just had to have the ceiling replaced due to a leak caused by a fractured solder joint in a pipe (which was repaired) but when the ceiling came down, we found a disused pipe which appears to be capped off with a radiator tap or valve. We moved in a couple of months ago and have an unvented system pressurised at 1.5 bar. I’m a bit concerned whether this is a proper way for the pipe to have been left. Unfortunately the plasterer showed me the photo after he had repaired the ceiling. Is it only a matter of time before we get another leak or is it safe to leave it alone? I’d appreciate any advice thank you.

5D8975C1-817E-497C-8999-B3155573E9EA.jpeg

It probably won't leak, but you can never say never. If you can get the floorboards up above it then I'd recommend capping it off as close to the tee as possible.
Otherwise I'd leave it as you'd need to undo the work the plasterer did to get to it.
If it does start to pass you'll probably just see a stain in the ceiling and at that point you'll have to sort it out.
It's a dead leg and very lazy plumbing from whoever did it, dead legs can cause issues in heating systems but it looks to be downhill to the valve so won't trap air and may not be a problem.
There's also a chance it's not even connected to the heating circuit anymore, may be worth asking the plumber who sorted your leak out if he saw it and if he checked it out.
You'll notice a lot of 'if's', 'may's' and 'probably's' in what I've just written, nobody can say for sure.

Reply to Can a pipe be capped off with a radiator valve? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock