Search the forum,

Discuss Can a new oil tank install be DIYed? in the Oil and Solid Fuel Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi. Asking for a relative whose neighbour seemingly DIYed an oil tank replacement. She was aware of 'oil' smells at regular times in the weeks following this, although that has since died down.
Is there a way of checking whether the installation was registered, a bit like boiler installs?

Thanks.

Ok, I think I found the answer. Yes, it can be DIYed, but should have Building Control certification afterwards.
Anyone know how to check whether this has been done - will it be part of the online planning portal, or does a request need to be made to Build Control?

Tell relative to note date, time and duration of smell. If they have a complaint to make then make it or at least ask the neighbour first.
The neighbour should be extremely grateful to be alerted to any potential leaks and needs to be aware of the potential for unlimited fines and a 'polluter pays' bill. It doesn't take much oil leaking into the ground for the clean-up to be four or five figures.

Technically oil tanks could be DIYed but the person installing would of had to optain a set of regulations and install to them much the same as an engineer.
I highly doubt based on the above the installation would be compliant and therefore signed off.

Trust me, if the environment agency are called to an oil spill and it's proved the homeowners were aware of it then expect thousands, maybe tens of thousands in clean up bills and fines.

@DevsAd if you suspect an oil leak I suggest you isolate the supply at the tank, there should be an isolation valve with strainer at the exit of the tank.
Could you also post a couple images of the tank, one showing the whole tank and base but not at a great distance away and another of the outlet of the tank please? I will soon tell you if it's compliant.

Thanks everyone.

I don't suspect a current leak, but was sometimes aware of the smell during the installation phase.

Looks as tho' it can be DIYed, but it should have Building Control oversight and sign-off afterwards, just like with many normal building jobs (structural, etc).

Thanks.

Highly likely the old tank was simply replaced because it was leaking, assuming it was dug out the disturbed and contaiminated soil could also account the persistant but diminishing smell.

Reply to Can a new oil tank install be DIYed? in the Oil and Solid Fuel Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock