Search the forum,

Discuss Can a Header Tank be connected to a Cold Water Tank? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello,

I live in a building that is a conversion of two terrace houses into several flats. One of the residents ("Roger") has been managing the cold water, hot water, and heating of the building for more than 30 years, and I have a question on whether his set up is legit.

We have four water tanks in the loft. Roger tells me that the first three tanks are connected with pipes and supply water to the flats. He also says that the fourth tank is the head tank for the central heating system and that the system is “closed” and dosed with chemicals.

However, when I looked at the setup, it seems to me that all four tanks are interconnected with pipes. The first tank connects to the second, second to third, and third to fourth. My concern is with the connection from the third to the fourth (header tank) tank, as this would in theory allow chemicals from the header tank to go to the other tanks. It seems to me that the mains water supply feeds only the first tank, and there is a ball valve only on the first tank. Thus, the fourth tank (header tank) must be receiving supply from the main indirectly from the first tank, and this means that the system is not really closed and in theory chemical from the header tank could sip through to the other tanks. Should the header tank be disconnected from the thr third and have an independent supply from the mains, or it the current setup legit?

Thanks

No, the header tank for the heater should NOT be connected to the tanks for domestic supply, other that the common connection of mains water to the float valves.
Re the 3 tanks, they should be connected so that the water enters one tank and any connections should be on the last tank in the chain, to prevent stagnation in any tank.

Have you got any pictures, maybe the pipework to the heating tank?

If it's all been working correctly for thirty years you probably have your answer.

Do you know what you are looking at?

I suspect that all of the warning pipe overflows are connected together - this is perfectly ok.

If it the actual tanks were connected as you seem to think, yes that would be a massive problem - but I think it would have come to light by now!

ok thanks. I think that Roger got it mixed up and was referring to a diferent tank as the header tank. Below is a water of the 4 tanks. These are inteconnected.

1589806957546.png

Below is the 4th tnaks:
1589807061604.png

Below is the 1st tank

1589807128264.png

Below are the covers, startign from the 1st tank:
1589807184618.png

Pretty sure Roger's wrong! Looks like ballvalve/s on tank 1, outlet on tank 4 and all connected through each other. I'd be worried about the crap getting into the tanks coz no lids!

I think Roger needs to let go and get a Professional on site to have a look.

As a minimum they need;
Cleaning out, which looks impossible for the middle 2 due to height restrictions.
They need insulation to be applied all around to stop them either freezing in Winter or heating up in Summer with correctly ventillated lids.
But to do the above they'll need repositionong as 2 and 3 are too close to the roof timbers.
Check the overflows have fly screens in them
Check the support is adequate, it doesn't look to be, but may be a bad view of it.
Confirm whether there is a heating header tank and if it is interconnected, if so sort it out.

Thanks, I am trying to have them replaced.
[automerge]1589906856[/automerge]
Pretty sure Roger's wrong! Looks like ballvalve/s on tank 1, outlet on tank 4 and all connected through each other. I'd be worried about the crap getting into the tanks coz no lids!

Yes, he admitted he was wrong. The header tank is connected tot he cold water tanks.

I would personally be happier having my own cistern separate from other flats. So whatever stupid things may happen/ they do to their water is less likely to affect yours.

Technically, the support for the tanks is not to current standards, and that they need cleaning out. Too high to be accessible for cleaning: need to be a foot lower, ideally, and by law. Lack of proper lids not acceptable, and they probably aren't really interlinked correctly (the guidance on what interlinking is acceptable has always confused me and I've not bothered to look into it too deeply as I've never needed to do it). Also, if we want to be picky, the float valve looks to be a Part 1 valve, and therefore (depending on the context), not legal anymore for this purpose.

They are certainly not to current standards (Water Supply (Water Fittings) Regulations 1999). If they were put in in the last 21 years, it's a very poor show, and to be honest, the Water Regs replaced local byelaws that were probably broadly similar in their stipulations for stored water.

There is quite a lot involved in fitting a cistern ('tank') properly. Most come with instructions that, if followed, would almost certainly result in a safe and compliant installation. Too many people don't read.

To put things into context, my own house had an open tank feeding the hot water cylinder only when I bought the place. I cleaned the tank out, threw a plastic sheet over it (to keep out 99% of the dust that inevitably lurks in lofts) and tied the plastic sheet tight with some string, put some insulation (not fibreglass) around it and decided that that would do until I got around to redoing the system completely. But I'm aware it isn't how it should be and that my hot water cannot really be considered safe to drink. I don't drink hot water though, nor do I shower from that water, so I'm less concerned. If my clean but not properly lidded cistern were feeding my drinking water, I would have replaced it on day one. And the only reason I refuse to buy a lid for mine is that the price of circular lids feel like daylight robbery. If you're drinking from that, it's pretty grim to be honest.

By looking at your water, I would guess (can't see the pipework) that the heating system water is separate from the water that is supplied to your taps.

Last edited:

Reply to Can a Header Tank be connected to a Cold Water Tank? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

For reasons that I won't go into. Is it possible to control the water flow to a cold water header tank without having a ballcock in the header tank? ie to place some sort of control elsewhere in the feed pipe before the water gets to the header tank - turning off the mains water supply would...
Replies
Views
  • Solved
Hi, I am looking for a bit of advice. Our Gledhill hot water tank was installed incorrectly 18 months ago and has been sending bubbling hot water to our plastic header tank in the loft every time we turned the heating on. We first noticed an issue with a leak in our bedroom ceiling which we...
Replies
Views
Hi all I have a problem with my hot water header tank getting warm water into it from the bottom of the header tank (not the hooked overflow/expansion pipe. Hence the header tank then reaches the overflow level and the overflow trickles out. I have changed the ball valve washers thinking it was...
Replies
Views
Hello, and thanks for taking the time to read. I'm trying to work out if the idea I have is practical? The water pressure in my newly renovated house (4 bathrooms is tragic). Current set up is: A hot/cold mixer in the main ensuite which is ok as long as you don't run anything else. One electric...
Replies
Views
Hi, We moved into a new property yesterday and are a little baffled by the heating/water tank situation. The previous owners unhelpfully left any kind of instructions/manual and therefore trying to figure out ourselves. We have what looks like a boiler/water tank system (coming from a standard...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock