Search the forum,

Discuss Can a dripping tap be too old to fix in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Fig

I have an old cast iron bath, the kind with feet, and old taps attached, one of which is dripping. I’m not sure how old it is but it was there when I bought the flat 20 years ago and I imagine it’s at least 40-60 years old as the flat doesn’t look like it’s had any work done since then, and the taps could be older. A plumber has told me I won’t be able to fix them as I won’t find a washer that will fit. Is that likely to be true? I’m loath to get rid of them and would happily try a diy alternative to a washer if there is something. Any suggestions or thoughts gratefully received. Thanks
5413AC1C-5BD4-46F8-BF77-07FD4CD64DF5.jpeg

It can be serviced. You can definitely get washers for it. It's a standard 3/4" Vacca looking at it from here! It can be re-packed and greased. I have serviced plenty for customers of mine over the years and because they are generally of superior quality to the trash we use today, they go on working well for years to come.

I suspect you have found a 'Plumber' who can't be bothered with it or one who is inexperienced. As Simon says, better to get another Plumber. If you replace the tap, it won't last or look as good on the bath.

Thank you both, that’s helpful and reassuring. I really didn’t want to replace it and I thought it odd that I would have to, so I’ll switch the plumber instead! Just they seem quite booked up right now, but I’ll keep looking and put up with the drip a bit longer!

Thank you both, that’s helpful and reassuring. I really didn’t want to replace it and I thought it odd that I would have to, so I’ll switch the plumber instead! Just they seem quite booked up right now, but I’ll keep looking and put up with the drip a bit longer!
Good Plumbers are normally very busy (good sign) and to be honest a dripping tap is likely to be low on the priority list. Worth waiting for the right person though.

The heads might be difficult to get off, gently tap from below with a hammer, going around in turn and wiggle wiggle! After you've taken the retaining screw out of the side.
Also, put a tube- I use a extra big socket spanner- put it on the spout and then your spanner on the nut of the tap body- gives you a bit of leaverage witout damage. Again you can tap the spanner on the nut with a hammer- Good luck

Reply to Can a dripping tap be too old to fix in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock