Search the forum,

Discuss Can a DIYer replace an expansion vessel in the Oil and Solid Fuel Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi

Is it possible for a DIYer to replace an expansion vessel and hose? It's an external grant vortex boiler and from what I've seen online it looks simple enough

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20221112_073926_Chrome.jpg
    SmartSelect_20221112_073926_Chrome.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 14
A Certas engineer said so at service. To be fair he didn't say he'd quote until I asked him to, which seems pretty expensive. He said it was very heavy. Does that water out of the valve check work on this model, I'm yet to check?

Do have any advice on how I could confirm what he said?

Thanks

Press thge schrader valve needle and see if air or water comes out, if neither or no pressure with needle depressed, isolate the boiler or drain down system and remove the water end hose, pump up the air end (if you can) to say 1.5bar, put your hand over the water end and see if any pressure buids up even slowly, if so, the diaphragm is punctured and new EV required.

As above sounds like it just needs recharging

Recharging pressure vessel is a standard task on my oil boiler services.

Easy enough to check out, just be careful if you do diy it that you dont spray water over the electrics or burner.

Normally the air will have droplets of water with it if the vessel has gone. Just try to recharge it and go from there. Dont forget to dump the water pressure first before pumping up the vessel.

Normally the air will have droplets of water with it if the vessel has gone. Just try to recharge it and go from there. Dont forget to dump the water pressure first before pumping up the vessel.
I got same problem!
I drained water till zero on water guage, then inflated the EV, The water guage went up, shud that happen?

I got same problem!
I drained water till zero on water guage, then inflated the EV, The water guage went up, shud that happen?
Keep draining while you pump up and wait until the water stops then pump some more until you have no water coming out and the shrader gauge says 1 bar

I got same problem!
If that happens dump the pressure again, until the water gauge doesn't increase whilst pumping up the vessel.

many thanx for that, will try that tomorrow, I thought the EV had punctured and the air was leaking into the water?
No, as you pump up the ev the water inside it is pushed back into the system and can make the water gauge increase.

Keep draining while you pump up and wait until the water stops then pump some more until you have no water coming out and the shrader gauge says 1 bar
only have one guage, water, let me get this clear, if I pump up EV and leave open the water drain tap that will drain water to zero..the close water tap and repressurise, is that about right?

only have one guage, water, let me get this clear, if I pump up EV and leave open the water drain tap that will drain water to zero..the close water tap and repressurise, is that about right?
no got it wrong u mean one bar on footpump, and zero on water guage, then add water to one bar on water guage?

no got it wrong u mean one bar on footpump, and zero on water guage, then add water to one bar on water guage?

Correct once one bar or foot and no water is draining via drain tap

Remove foot pump close drain tap and re pressurise boiler as you normally would do if pressure is low

Got to remember when they're flat you've got to pump out 8/10 litres of water, so leave drain open while pumping.

Remove foot pump close drain tap and re pressurise boiler as you normally would do if pressure is low
thanx for that I will let uknow if it works, if not take it, I fit another EV??
Gud to speak to people in the know!

a bit late tonite but on my mind?...under the boiler theres two warer controls close together I use to top the water up. The big white key is thag suposed to cut the water off, cus on or off, I can still get water tgru the small white valve. Am thinking cud the water be passing thru into system and spurting out safetg valvd cus I have heard the hiss of water a few times being ejected outside?..try to attach pic of the two valves which are side by side!

Attachments

• IMG_20221212_122211.jpg
    IMG_20221212_122211.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 5
No the key does nothing but divert the water into the boiler

The left white hex turns the water on or off to the filling loop

Only if you leave the left white hex open / undone

Reply to Can a DIYer replace an expansion vessel in the Oil and Solid Fuel Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock