Search the forum,

Discuss Can a council tenant have any say in where a new boiler is situated? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

The council are offering to update the fire and inefficient old radiators and replace the old fashioned boiler with a new combi one. They want to move the boiler from the tank cupboard in the bedroom to the much bigger walk-in wardrobe, presumably for convenience as there seems to be a gas pipe there. It's a small first floor one bedroomed flat. I'd much rather have it in the kitchen or bathroom, and know I'd have to pay the difference, tho prices seem to differ wildly re Google. Is this ever allowed? I realise they prefer everything standardised but wonder if there's ever any flexibility? Could they just update the radiators or do they come as a package?
The space to the outer wall in the kitchen from the light switch is 48cm wide,102cm long to tiles, bathroom 58-152, wardrobe 55 width, no idea how big the boiler would be so may not be possible anyway. Thanks.

Last edited:
You can ask but as you don’t own the property and you rent you don’t have much say

I very much doubt they'd get into a negotiation with you but you can only ask. If you can present a logical plan with reasoning you never know but don't forget you might be losing space in one area but you're gaining in another.

Thanks both.
Btw, is installing a boiler in a room where there isn't a gas pipe right where it will be installed make it much more complex, time consuming and expensive or not much? There is an old shut off pipe in the kitchen which I guess is gas which used to be connected to a radiator, would that just be extended? I just did a q&a estimate on moving a boiler on the eon website and they said it would be £3700 which seems a bit steep! 😱😂

If a pipe was connected to a radiator it won’t have contained gas. Have you asked them why they want to move the boiler? Maybe the pipe needs an upgrade, and it’s easier the way they have suggested. Flats aren’t the biggest or easiest of properties to work in.

Thanks. No, just that everyone's is going in the same place as they're modernising all the heating in flats. Do you know what the rough size of a combi boiler for a one bed flat would be, cm wide and high? The cupboard it's in now is half the size of where it's going, but combis are smaller than trad boilers right?

Reply to Can a council tenant have any say in where a new boiler is situated? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We live in a 1980s four-bedroom detached house. The time has come for new central heating. The current system is a mild revision of the original heating installed when the house was built, and this revision was largely to replace a life-expired boiler: non-condensing fan flue boiler open...
Replies
Views
Dear All, I'm very excited to be converting a small bedroom into an upstairs bathroom in our first house! I've been looking through PlumbersForum for tips and tricks on pipes and units, and come up with my own design for the new bathroom. I'd be very grateful if the lovely members here can...
Replies
Views
Hi, I've looked through old threads on similar questions, however i was hoping for advice regarding our house project. When i've read threads before when people have asked similar questions - some people say that the Veismann Stored combi is a great boiler and would be adequate, however most...
Replies
Views
Hi all, We recently purchased a house and nothing seems to work correctly here, I've spent weeks rectifying issues. Plumbing, electrical, carpentry it's been never ending. The house was built by Barratt Homes in the year 2000, it is a 3 bedroom house called a Palmerston, the CH/HW system is a Y...
Replies
Views
Hello, Can anybody please advise. For months now our old Ideal Mini HE C24 (combi boiler) has had pressure problems. It won't stay above 1 bar. Occasionally I top it up, to above one bar, twice in a day, other times if I am happy to leave it about a 1/3 of a bar it won't complain for a week...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock