Search the forum,

Discuss Calculating shower waste pipe fall in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Simple questions, I hope:

When planning the run of the waste pipe from a new shower, do I calculate the fall from the shower tray surface or from the shower trap outlet?

I'm working on a required fall with 40mm pipe of 18mm per 1m and I have a 2m straight span to cross. Is this correct?

15mm a meter

So around 30mm for 2m

Shaun is dead right, too much fall leaves debris behind as the outflow goes to fast. However
in my experience an almost level waste will get stuff away if it ends up with a good drop at the end maybe up to 2/3 m even with a bend
Rob Foster aka centralheatking
its not regulations but practical experience working on old buildings
in Bath etc

As above, Rob is right & this is where experience wins out every time.
Knowing what it should be according to the Regs against what you can get away with if required.
We know the 18 - 90mm per Metre in Part H was arrived at when copper & cast iron or even lead was still being used, S/W plastic has a much smoother bore (as long as it is de-burred) so can be laid at much shallower falls especially over sort distances.

Now you can wait half a life time to acquire this kind of knowledge or it can be passed on to an apprentice, which is why I believe in the system so passionately.
What were you told Rob "give it a turn of a bubble" ?

images.jpeg
The tool of choice !!

Monument de-burring tool about ÂŁ4.00

As above, Rob is right & this is where experience wins out every time.
Knowing what it should be according to the Regs against what you can get away with if required.
We know the 18 - 90mm per Metre in Part H was arrived at when copper & cast iron or even lead was still being used, S/W plastic has a much smoother bore (as long as it is de-burred) so can be laid at much shallower falls especially over sort distances.

Now you can wait half a life time to acquire this kind of knowledge or it can be passed on to an apprentice, which is why I believe in the system so passionately.
What were you told Rob "give it a turn of a bubble" ?

Wish more people had the same thought process about apprentices. I'm currently trying to find an apprenticeship with little / no luck. Only 38 companys / traders spoken to, the search continues.

Look I was really lucky in the early 80,s combis came in and the old fellas could not convert from vented etc. so I swapped my new knowledge for their old
and valued experience. So I can join lead, make snow boxes etc because these fellas shared their knowhow with me then in the late 90,s I picked up a cohort of ex Cammel Laird fitters ..the ones who built submarines etc who also knew loads more than me and were chucked onto the scrap heap aged 50 ..but needed organising into a new business..and we did well..
so I have never been an apprentice. Then Mike and I started Api 2006..to my mind there is little to stop an inteligent young person
setting up as a plumber and any problems ask us on UKPF

Last edited:
Wish more people had the same thought process about apprentices. I'm currently trying to find an apprenticeship with little / no luck. Only 38 companys / traders spoken to, the search continues.
Best of luck Andy please keep on, it is the best way to learn the trade.

I feel for you with little or know support from government or industry & a newly changing qualification which will in effect prevent 100's if not 1000's, working on large buildings developments from gaining the recognised qualification it is a tough time to be trying to join & plug the skills gap.

Ok It all depends on where you are...it is possible that we on UKPF might be able to help you
centralheatking

Keep trying, took me two years to get my apprenticeship, countless letter and even offering my services for free got me no where. Some companies aren't interested and others already have apprentices. Keep sending letters every few months to the same companies. If they've got an apprentice who they've let go due to poor interest, your repeated attempted should help you fill their place.

Look I was really lucky in the early 80,s combis came in and the old fellas could not convert from vented etc. so I swapped my new knowledge for their old
and valued experience. So I can join lead, make snow boxes etc because these fellas shared their knowhow with me then in the late 90,s I picked up a cohort of ex Cammel Laird fitters ..the ones who built submarines etc who also knew loads more than me and were chucked onto the scrap heap aged 50 ..but needed organising into a new business..and we did well..
so I have never been an apprentice. Then Mike and I started Api 2006..to my mind there is little to stop an inteligent young person

Yeah I understand what you're saying but as I've said a few times to plumbers I've spoken to you can learn at college and you can read books but nothing beats learning from someone with years of experience, the knowledge you gain from real people is worth its weight in gold.

Best of luck Andy please keep on, it is the best way to learn the trade.

I feel for you with little or know support from government or industry & a newly changing qualification which will in effect prevent 100's if not 1000's, working on large buildings developments from gaining the recognised qualification it is a tough time to be trying to join & plug the skills gap.

Thanks, I can only keep going and trying after all it wont come knocking at my door if I don't.

Ok It all depends on where you are...it is possible that we on UKPF might be able to help you
centralheatking

I'm West Oxfordshire. Carterton area.

Keep trying, took me two years to get my apprenticeship, countless letter and even offering my services for free got me no where. Some companies aren't interested and others already have apprentices. Keep sending letters every few months to the same companies. If they've got an apprentice who they've let go due to poor interest, your repeated attempted should help you fill their place.

I've not sent random letters to be honest. I've picked up the phone and spoken to people and if they are interested I send CV / cover letter. As I say my list is around 38 companies now, when I get to around 50 I might start banging my head against the wall.

I've spoken to some really decent blokes who have been more than willing to offer advice on how to get an apprenticeship but sadly nothing has worked as yet. Visited plumbing merchants, Visited the training centre, Phoned people, Put a poster up in the local training centre. A few more phone calls to make tomorrow to a few more companies. Just need that foot in the door as they say..

Yeah I understand what you're saying but as I've said a few times to plumbers I've spoken to you can learn at college and you can read books but nothing beats learning from someone with years of experience, the knowledge you gain from real people is worth its weight in gold.

Thanks, I can only keep going and trying after all it wont come knocking at my door if I don't.

I've not sent random letters to be honest. I've picked up the phone and spoken to people and if they are interested I send CV / cover letter. As I say my list is around 38 companies now, when I get to around 50 I might start banging my head against the wall.

I've spoken to some really decent blokes who have been more than willing to offer advice on how to get an apprenticeship but sadly nothing has worked as yet. Visited plumbing merchants, Visited the training centre, Phoned people, Put a poster up in the local training centre. A few more phone calls to make tomorrow to a few more companies. Just need that foot in the door as they say..
I know its a bit off the wall but look at Network Rail and all the companies engaged in HS2 they are in your area and really want new blood for this project which will go on for years , I think Balfour Beatty, and Babcock might also be a good set of contacts...instead of thinking small ...GO BIG...and what about the new nuke plant at Hinckley Point ...there are 4000 fellas on that job
Rob Foster

The biggest asset you can offer will be your own transport and a driving licence that will put well ahead of the others. Then you will be so much more usefull. Rob Foster aka centralheatking

The biggest asset you can offer will be your own transport and a driving licence that will put well ahead of the others. Then you will be so much more usefull. Rob Foster aka centralheatking

Indeed, I've spoken to a couple of plumbers over the last couple of days who sadly weren't taking anyone on however very useless chats. It does seem that a lot of lads/lady's are put off taking on apprentices due to previous bad experiences which is a shame really.

Indeed, I've spoken to a couple of plumbers over the last couple of days who sadly weren't taking anyone on however very useless chats. It does seem that a lot of lads/lady's are put off taking on apprentices due to previous bad experiences which is a shame really.
Centrica are taking on , it gets bad press but its a start in my opinion. centralheatking

I had the problem of some lack ing in information as while off work ill I decided to tKe a Plumbing course back in 05. We weren’t told that to continue through the trade we would need to gain work with a plumber to get the NVQ so we could advance to gas. I couldn’t find a plumber willing to take on a 40 year old apprentice at that time. So I ended up going self employed as a general plumber and occasionally I get to work with a well seasoned gas engineer and learn much of the old school tricks and tips from him. Still wish I could get my gas. Was thinking of doing my G3 as starting to see them more around here these days.

I had the problem of some lack ing in information as while off work ill I decided to tKe a Plumbing course back in 05. We weren’t told that to continue through the trade we would need to gain work with a plumber to get the NVQ so we could advance to gas. I couldn’t find a plumber willing to take on a 40 year old apprentice at that time. So I ended up going self employed as a general plumber and occasionally I get to work with a well seasoned gas engineer and learn much of the old school tricks and tips from him. Still wish I could get my gas. Was thinking of doing my G3 as starting to see them more around here these days.
Do it. It will pay for itself in a single install. Make sure you get back on here (in the Arms) and learn about the realitys once ticketed though ;);)

Reply to Calculating shower waste pipe fall in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an old steel water mains pipe (approx 45mm) that I need to connect to a new pehd water mains (25mm). I can't get at it to create a new thread so what's the best way of connecting the two? Cheers, Peter
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock