Search the forum,

Discuss By-pass valve for reducing heating loop in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Good day,
I have question regarding by-pass valve for my combi compackt Hreco 36 primary loop. My primary loop is going from 3rd floor to the first floor ( floor heating) , at underfloor heating manifold I have by-pass valve. Recently I have installed Honeywell evohome system and every room is fully separated. When I need to heat only small bathroom radiator all primary loop to the first floor becoming hot, so I loosing energy via primary loop. As I noticed a lot of heat going out throughout the loop. The loop is bigger than bathroom radiator itself.
My idea is to install extra by-pass valve very close to the boiler, so the primary loop become total of 4 meters length. it keeps the remaining loop of and only hot water goes to radiators. If here is request for underfloor heating by starting underfloor pump the bypass valve should close and hot water goes to the first floor. Does this system can work practically and does it safe for boiler.? The loop becomes 10 times smaller, does it effects flow and pressure, witch can trigger boiler safety's. ?

I'd love to help but I don't understand what you are asking/proposing. A sketch diagram might help.
I hope it is clear sketch. The main thing, can I install secondary by pass valve just after the boiler.

Attachments

• 1577962744828..jpg
    1577962744828..jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 18
I hope it is clear sketch. The main thing, can I install secondary by pass valve just after the boiler.
You need to check the installation instructions for your boiler to see whether an external bypass loop is a requirement and, if so, what its minimum length/volume needs to be.

I would say you certainly need a external bypass if you are only running one or two rads off a 36kw combi boiler which might only modulate down to 7 or 8 kw. Is the boiler cycling a lot when the UFH is off and you are only heating one rad?
What controls the UF heating when not required?, you might consider moving the existing ABV to where you plan the second one, advantage is reducing the primary loop when not required but disadvantage is that there will be a delay in hot water reaching the UFH manifold. If you do fit another ABV then how do you set it (them) up to stop unwanted by passing?.
You could also install the second by pass and shut off the existing one, if it doesn't work out you can always revert back.

You need to check the installation instructions for your boiler to see whether an external bypass loop is a requirement and, if so, what its minimum length/volume needs to be.
Manual says not wo much. Only that it must be as faar its possible.
[automerge]1577990276[/automerge]
I would say you certainly need a external bypass if you are only running one or two rads off a 36kw combi boiler which might only modulate down to 7 or 8 kw. Is the boiler cycling a lot when the UFH is off and you are only heating one rad?
What controls the UF heating when not required?, you might consider moving the existing ABV to where you plan the second one, advantage is reducing the primary loop when not required but disadvantage is that there will be a delay in hot water reaching the UFH manifold. If you do fit another ABV then how do you set it (them) up to stop unwanted by passing?.
You could also install the second by pass and shut off the existing one, if it doesn't work out you can always revert back.
First at all thank you for good replay. My heating system is control by evohome, radiators with HR92 valves and UF with BDR 91 relay. Most time as far I can see only one rad operates at time. Only in night time two, one radiator and UF. Then radiator demand heat the boiler modulation is perfect. But then UF it is not. The pump stops, because it control by Bdr91 it has PTI. So the pump is off but boiler can run most time 30%. And can take to 10min. So the loop from 3rd floor to first is heated for 10min, and nex problem, if radiator opens only 10%,just to maintain constant temp. The entire loop is hot just to keep one radiator just slightly worm.
For UF planning to install HM80 relay nex time.
[automerge]1577990414[/automerge]

If you do fit another ABV then how do you set it (them) up to stop unwanted by passing?.

I could set different open set points or remove original

Last edited:
The Intergas boiler you have will only modulate down to around 8kw net. With Evohome, you seem to saying that you have zoned the complete system, some zones of which have a small heat demand - consequently when a very low load is called for the current external by pass kicks in.

The starting point is to determine the maximum heat load on your system and compare that to the boiler modulation capability. It is possible that the boiler is oversized for you system. If that is the case a long bypass is advantageous also consider reconfiguring your Evohome system into larger zones ( if possible). Moving the bypass to give you a shorter heating by pass loop is probably ok, the boiler will cut out and / or cycle if it cannot dissipate the heat load.

Evohome is (in my view ) very good - but if not configured to suit the system, it will, as in your case, call for heat to a zone far too small to meet the minimum boiler demand.

If your boiler is significantly oversized, consider changing it for a correctly sized one.

Last edited:
The Intergas boiler you have will only modulate down to around 8kw net. With Evohome, you seem to saying that you have zoned the complete system, some zones of which have a small heat demand - consequently when a very low load is called for the current external by pass kicks in.

The starting point is to determine the maximum heat load on your system and compare that to the boiler modulation capability. It is possible that the boiler is oversized for you system. If that is the case a long bypass is advantageous also consider reconfiguring your Evohome system into larger zones ( if possible). Moving the bypass to give you a shorter heating by pass loop is probably ok, the boiler will cut out and / or cycle if it cannot dissipate the heat load.

Evohome is (in my view ) very good - but if not configured to suit the system, it will, as in your case, call for heat to a zone far too small to meet the minimum boiler demand.

If your boiler is significantly oversized, consider changing it for a correctly sized one.
Sometimes Evohome ask for 8% heat demand and radiator valve is open 8%, it calculates just just to keep the exact temperature in the room, and it works perfect. Most time it can be that only one radiator running for half day (my kid room), because house is just 2 years old, with class A the remaining rooms upstairs keeps a good temperature with 0% demand.
-Could you advise how to do maximum heat load calculation?
-Cut-out? - do you mean safety shut down?
-Evohome - i can not see how to adjust minimum boiler demand on evohome. Or do you mean that I need to combine several rooms to keep minimum demand?
-Boiler come together with new build. it very new, by changing it I need invest quit a bit money.

I notice that during modulation, the boiler goes from number 5 (operating state) to number 1( Cuts the burner) it circulates with burner off until the temperature in the loop is dropped and kicks burner on. I think going from running mode to st-by with pump on, its some kind over-sizing solution from boiler it self. This is why I come with idea to reduce loop, because 50% of time on number one and just waiting while heat will be dumped through entire loop.

would be solution to use ON/OFF instead Opentherm?

to continue more clear story, before evohome installation I had a problem with rooms temperature, it took ages to heat room, or it never reached it desired state. The UF consumed almost all heat and the kicked boiler out because first floor reached it temperatures, but the rooms still would stay cold. to solve the problem I needed to set thermostat to 24 for few few hours just prolong boiler running time. i rice Water temperature to max 90C and I also increased the maxcimum boiler load from 60% to 70%. At the moment I brought back from 90C to 60C and will do later on from 70% back to 60%.

To quickly calculate the approximate thermal heat load:

Measure each radiator and look up its thermal capacity in the manufacturers catalogue. Use the column for delta 50

For the underfloor heating measure the total area of the heated floor and multiply by 90 Watts /m2. to give the approximate thermal demand.

Compare the total approximate heat load with your theretical boiler output. Then look at the heat load for each of your evohome designated zones.

The boiler should be set up so that when operating in a stable condition, the return temperature is below 55 degrees C.

Irrespective of the external control system (Open therm or conventional) when there is a call for heat, the boiler will deliver a minimum output of around 8kw. For the boiler to operate correctly that heat (8kw) needs to be used, with the boiler return temperature being around 15 to 20 degrees below the boiler flow temperature.

The above will give you a good indication of what the root cause of your issues are.

I suspect that your boiler is significantly oversized for your installation and is cutting out (safety shutdown) because the delta (difference) between the flow and return temperature is too small.

I will do calculation.

Do I should get error if my boiler get shut down?
[automerge]1578064828[/automerge]

Measure each radiator and look up its thermal capacity in the manufacturers catalogue. Use the column for delta 50

For the underfloor heating measure the total area of the heated floor and multiply by 90 Watts /m2. to give the approximate thermal demand.

Compare the total approximate heat load with your theretical boiler output. Then look at the heat load for each of your evohome designated zones.

The boiler should be set up so that when operating in a stable condition, the return temperature is below 55 degrees C.

Irrespective of the external control system (Open therm or conventional) when there is a call for heat, the boiler will deliver a minimum output of around 8kw. For the boiler to operate correctly that heat (8kw) needs to be used, with the boiler return temperature being around 15 to 20 degrees below the boiler flow temperature.

The above will give you a good indication of what the root cause of your issues are.

I suspect that your boiler is significantly oversized for your installation and is cutting out (safety shutdown) because the delta (difference) between the flow and return temperature is too small.
With every post i get more clear over my heating system. Still can not understand about shut down, then the return temperature is close to supply. As I mentioned my UF pump is regulated by BDR 91, it controls seperate from boiler, its starts and stop by himself ( 10 min stopped, 5 min running) it is self adjusting to keep the exact temp i the first floor. Then the pump is off the boiler still running under Opentherm, like 20% and circulates in the loop via bypass, after few minutes the return temperature to the boiler is same as supply and boiler goes to stage number 1, but I do not get alarm/error. After somewhile the boiler starts again. hereby attached picture from boiler manual

Google translate says:
Desired temperature reached
The burner control can temporarily block the heat demand. The burner is then stopped.
The blocking takes place because the requested temperature has been reached. If the temperature
the block has been dropped sufficiently.

Sorry for so many questions. i never been so deep in heating system so I need to quit alot support:)

Attachments

• heating.png
    heating.png
    411.6 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Unlikely to give an error code, unless it locks out on overheat or temperature differential. The boiler will just cycle - but with that you will get very little heat input into your system

If I may keep it simple for now, most gas boilers do not take kindly to running (cycling on/off) when the heat load requirement is less than their minimum output, there are IMO two basic reasons for this, one is that the Hx contents might only be 2 to 3 litres and two, the burner at start up/ignition has to have a minimum fan speed which in turn means that your boiler for example may have a required minimum start up fan speed which gives maybe 12/15 kw output at startup, it will then modulate down towards its min output of 8kw but during this time because your demand might only be say 4 kw then the boiler setpoint will have reached its cut out temperature (in a very short time) which is normally SP+5C. Now because of the very small Hx water contents of say 3 litres then the boiler will again cut back in, in a very short time at (SP-5C??), theoretically, 3 litres of water in supplying a 4kw heating load will fall in temperature (10C) in 31 secs, to avoid this (gas) boilers have a anti fast cycle settable time, default time normally, and on your boiler, of 5 mins. Grand, but in this time the flow/return temps will have fallen dramatically in this time so your room temp might never be satisfied under these conditions or take hours to do so.

Some boiler (makes) seem to be able to deal with low demand better than others, I know of somebody who was told that his very well known make of boiler was not "really" designed to run in cycling mode, on the other hand, a relation of mine has a 20 kw heat only boiler (min output ~ 5.5 kw) that seems to be able to supply a 3 kw heating demand in cycling mode with no problems. (This boiler measures flow temperature only)

Just made calculation:
1 -radiator 1.211kW;
2-radiator 1.211kW
3-Radiator 0.848kW
4-Radiator 1021kW
UF -3.780KW.
The total 8.071kW, so I need to open valves to reach minimum load. + looses in the primary loop. Does this numbers could be real?
I have one more radiator, very small, but it is always in close position.

I'd say your calculations could well be right.

You could consider reducing the CH max output down to almost the min turn down (8 kw), this is normally achievable on combi boilers without affecting the HW output. It just also might help to reduce the boiler output on initial firing if in fact this is > 8 kw.

I'd say your calculations could well be right.

You could consider reducing the CH max output down to almost the min turn down (8 kw), this is normally achievable on combi boilers without affecting the HW output. It just also might help to reduce the boiler output on initial firing if in fact this is > 8 kw.
What doea it means CH? As I see reducing Loop with relocating bypass valve would not make anything better. Correct?

CH is central heating, reducing the loop IMO will not help the boiler cycling, in fact it may make it worse as you are dissipating heat in the existing loop which is why you wanted to relocate it in the first place.
Reducing the boiler max output in CH mode only may improve the overall performance of your system, you still require the HW output at max as you will get/need 15 LPM flowrate with a 35C rise in temperature.

CH is central heating, reducing the loop IMO will not help the boiler cycling, in fact it may make it worse as you are dissipating heat in the existing loop which is why you wanted to relocate it in the first place.
Reducing the boiler max output in CH mode only may improve the overall performance of your system, you still require the HW output at max as you will get/need 15 LPM flowrate with a 35C rise in temperature.
It is more clear. By reducing CH mode to lower it can effect also my HW supply. I will try later on to see if HW changed.
Could it help if I reduce water temp from 65 to 55 or lower?
I planning to call to intergas support to seek more advise.
I believe that in my case I do not need modulation control. It would be enough just on/off with the lowest set point. Correct? It would make better communication with UF BDR91 relay and will turn off boiler together with UF pump.

Last edited:
It would be good to talk to Intergas support and tell them clearly that you have, at certain times a CH requirement as low as ~ 1 to 1.5kw and ask for their recommendations, they may suggest a site visit.

I am pretty sure that changing the CH settings will not affect your HW settings.
I don't think that reducing the CH temp from 65C to 55c will have any real effect.
I think modulating boiler control is very desirable under normal circumstances, its just that if the CH maximum output is/can be reduced to its minimum output (which generally cannot be reduced) then the boiler will not/cannot modulate, it will just run at a fixed 8.0 kw output, the main reason that I suggest reducing it to 8 kw is that it may have a effect on the boiler start up output and reduce it, I just don't know.
Can you take a few readings with the boiler set up as is and only supplying one rad of 1.2 kw output with UFH off.
Exact ON time and the flow temp (and return temp, if displayed) at cut out,
Exact OFF time and the flow temp (and return temp, if displayed) on restart.
That will tell you a lot IMO.

Also ensure that nobody is using HW during the tests and note the CH set point temp setting before start of tests.

It would be good to talk to Intergas support and tell them clearly that you have, at certain times a CH requirement as low as ~ 1 to 1.5kw and ask for their recommendations, they may suggest a site visit.

I am pretty sure that changing the CH settings will not affect your HW settings.
I don't think that reducing the CH temp from 65C to 55c will have any real effect.
I think modulating boiler control is very desirable under normal circumstances, its just that if the CH maximum output is/can be reduced to its minimum output (which generally cannot be reduced) then the boiler will not/cannot modulate, it will just run at a fixed 8.0 kw output, the main reason that I suggest reducing it to 8 kw is that it may have a effect on the boiler start up output and reduce it, I just don't know.
Can you take a few readings with the boiler set up as is and only supplying one rad of 1.2 kw output with UFH off.
Exact ON time and the flow temp (and return temp, if displayed) at cut out,
Exact OFF time and the flow temp (and return temp, if displayed) on restart.
That will tell you a lot IMO.

Also ensure that nobody is using HW during the tests and note the CH set point temp setting before start of tests.
I will do next week, because I am out to from my home
[automerge]1578110763[/automerge]
UNDERFLOOR HEATING SYSTEM POWER
The maximum power of the system is normally specified in Watts per square metre. If your floor is well insulated and you have a reasonably modern home, the power of an underfloor heating system usually needs to be between 65-85W/m² to give the required output. When it comes to choosing underfloor heating, a 150-200W/m² system is usually specified to reduce heat up times as the system will not be “on” continuously. When the system is only “on” half of the time the room is used, the power provided is half of the Wattage of the system. That is, a 150W/m² system usually provides 65-85W/m² per hour.

I was looking a bit information. for new houses they say it can be around 50W/m2. if I take 65W/m2, i have 2.73kw just....

Assuming your heat requirement calculations are correct, you have a boiler which is far too large for the system installed. Even the smallest boiler in the HREco range ( the 24kw) would be oversized. There is no simple quick fix - you need to be able to use the minimum heat output that the boiler delivers.

Talk to Intergas for their advice and the way forward.

I have enough information from you guys. Incoming week I will do some tests,I will contact intergas, I monitor daily gas consumption and will look more close how the boiler cycle. I have spoken with my neighbor, he has same house and same boiler, he will track gas consumption too. Afterwards I will do parameters change and will compare cycling and gas consumption with previous data. If I can prove that the boiler is to big and cause me extra money, I could try to claim from building company a new boiler.

I looked more close to smaller boilers. Smaller boilers provide with less HW flow. Current boiler 60C - 9L/min, 40c-15L/min. At the moment I have set point 65C. If I go to smaller combi boiler, could he provide enough HW?

If you assume 5c as the lowest likely mains temp and you require 45C minimum hot water temp then (boiler) 25kw=9LPM, 30kw=10.8LPM, 35kw=12.5LPM. so IMO you require at the very least a 30kw boiler.
Did you ask your neighbour if his rads are heating OK on minimum demand?, cycling is really unimportant if you can still heat only one/two rads.

If you assume 5c as the lowest likely mains temp and you require 45C minimum hot water temp then (boiler) 25kw=9LPM, 30kw=10.8LPM, 35kw=12.5LPM. so IMO you require at the very least a 30kw boiler.
Did you ask your neighbour if his rads are heating OK on minimum demand?, cycling is really unimportant if you can still heat only one/two rads.
I have not asked, i know he use only floor heating and bathroom, the rest rooms are close, so he use about 4kw energy.
Last your sentence is very interesting. My rads heats very good, if demand is just on one rador two or three..., it heats perfectly.

So what is your problem exactly?, is it just the boiler efficiency in running in a cycling mode? and the query in post #1. The boiler efficiency has to be affected in some way as the boiler does a pre and post furnace purge after each stop/start but the loss in efficiency would not be recovered for years and years, if ever, by installing a new boiler.

Last edited:
So what is your problem exactly?, is it just the boiler efficiency in running in a cycling mode? and the query in post #1. The boiler efficiency has to be affected in some way as the boiler does a pre and post furnace purge after each stop/start but the loss in efficiency would not be recovered for years and years, if ever, by installing a new boiler.
The main question was regarding reducing primary loop, to safe energy and afterwards we all together find out that my boiler is oversize and that boiler is going constantly to cycling Stop/starts because of return temp. And probably as you mentioned he never goes to his minimum load 8kW, because he has not enough time to modulate from starting point ( with high load) to minimum. The main issue how much this boiler is economic with constant cycling my goal is to keep as minimum gas and electrical cost for my house. If not evohome system I would never noticed that I have a such problem.
[automerge]1578239261[/automerge]
I planning to call to Intergas to ask how can I optimize my boiler to work most economical.
Just to be sure if I good understood regarding radiators capacity. Hereby attached picture with my radiator. It stated that capacity is 1200W, it's correct?

I wandering if my evohome system can work good at my house. As I stated before, i divided my home to zones and with evohome system I regulate each room independently. As example: nigh time, heat demand ON for UF and one room, remaining rooms are OFF. Target Living room - 21C, Room - 22C, Closing/opening/starting UF pump/stopping/ Modulating boiler all goes via evohome. The total heat demand is 3,5kW ( boiler produce minimum 8Kw), boiler continues starting and stopping( because of return temperature), Evohome adjusting water flow continues to keep set point. would be this scenario still economic compare with standard situation: UF pump runs constant, room radiator fully opens, boiler still starts on/off but not so often.
P.S remaining rooms set points is 20C so as soon temp drops evohome will open too and combine the system slightly bigger. In standard situation the remaining rooms are slightly open to keep rooms from freezing.

i can still return evohome. it cost me 350 euro.

Attachments

• radiator.png
    radiator.png
    200.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Can,t comment on the evohome controls as I have no experience of them.
I have a oil fired boiler which doesn't (and can't) modulate so it and all other oil fired boilers spend their entire lives cycling on/off, I can't find the numbers just now but I was quite surprised at how little the cycling affected the efficiency even with very low heat demand.

Can,t comment on the evohome controls as I have no experience of them.
I have a oil fired boiler which doesn't (and can't) modulate so it and all other oil fired boilers spend their entire lives cycling on/off, I can't find the numbers just now but I was quite surprised at how little the cycling affected the efficiency even with very low heat demand.
I believe that combi gas boiler is not like oil fired boiler

You will generally see a minimum flow requirement set for HW flow to ensure that the combi is continuously running when in HW mode, it is probably ~ 2.5 to 3 LPM in your boiler depending on what the max HW temperature intergas allow, possibly 60C?,

You will generally see a minimum flow requirement set for HW flow to ensure that the combi is continuously running when in HW mode, it is probably ~ 2.5 to 3 LPM in your boiler depending on what the max HW temperature intergas allow, possibly 60C?,
I have maximum 65C on winter, summer time 55c-60C
[automerge]1578328906[/automerge]
I was looking more and more about my system and I find out, that building company installed wrong system at all.

Hereby translated email with googletranslate. I suppose to have this system: no UF pump in living room, independents lines for first and second floor, 2 thermostats, O got nothing.

I would like to know how does the system looks like?
e are pleased to inform you that the floor heating system in your home has been upgraded. This upgrade increases the comfort and improves the energy efficiency of your home.

The renewed central heating boiler offers 2 heating lines: a low temperature heating line for the floor heating and a high temperature heating line for the radiators on the floor. Because the radiators can now also be supplied with a higher temperature, the dimensions are smaller, the room heats up faster and the system uses less energy. The two heating lines can be operated independently of each other, since the central heating boiler is now also operated by two thermostats. One thermostat for the floor heating in the living room and one for the radiators on the floor. In combination with the thermostatic radiator valves on the floor, the temperature can be regulated per room. The room thermostat on the floor is wireless and works like a remote control. The thermostat must be placed in the room with the highest temperature demand. When the thermostat measures a too low temperature, the central heating boiler will switch on. With the thermostatic valve on the radiator you determine which radiator heats up at that moment.

[automerge]1578329227[/automerge]
I have maximum 65C on winter, summer time 55c-60C
[automerge]1578328906[/automerge]
I was looking more and more about my system and I find out, that building company installed wrong system at all.

Hereby translated email with googletranslate. I suppose to have this system: no UF pump in living room, independents lines for first and second floor, 2 thermostats, O got nothing.

I would like to know how does the system looks like?
e are pleased to inform you that the floor heating system in your home has been upgraded. This upgrade increases the comfort and improves the energy efficiency of your home.

The renewed central heating boiler offers 2 heating lines: a low temperature heating line for the floor heating and a high temperature heating line for the radiators on the floor. Because the radiators can now also be supplied with a higher temperature, the dimensions are smaller, the room heats up faster and the system uses less energy. The two heating lines can be operated independently of each other, since the central heating boiler is now also operated by two thermostats. One thermostat for the floor heating in the living room and one for the radiators on the floor. In combination with the thermostatic radiator valves on the floor, the temperature can be regulated per room. The room thermostat on the floor is wireless and works like a remote control. The thermostat must be placed in the room with the highest temperature demand. When the thermostat measures a too low temperature, the central heating boiler will switch on. With the thermostatic valve on the radiator you determine which radiator heats up at that moment.

P.S it suppose to be special boiler with 2 burners?

Last edited:
No two burners, you will have high temp (at boiler SP temperature) water supplying your rads and a thermostatic mixing valve to reduce this high temperature water to a lower temperature for your UFH, I would think.

No two burners, you will have high temp (at boiler SP temperature) water supplying your rads and a thermostatic mixing valve to reduce this high temperature water to a lower temperature for your UFH, I would think.
they mention that lines will be separated and can be control each floor, it means suppose be installed mixing valve with motorized valve?

Reply to By-pass valve for reducing heating loop in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock