Search the forum,

Discuss BS EN 1254:1998 Clarification needed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

centralheatking

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
I have come across the above, Am I correct in thinking it is a standard to which copper
pipe and fittings must comply in order to be compatible for joining purposes. And it is not a regulation which requires fittings to be tested and approved. A bit like a pint of milk.
many thanks in advance. centralheatking

CHK,

From memory, the standard only covers fittings (in a multitude of materials) for potable water supplies. It certainly does not cover coper pipe other than to state that fittings are compatible to suit pipe manufactured to separate defined standards - but it does cover copper pipe fittings.

There is also an amendment, or the standard is incorporated elsewhere to cover some of the fittings that are approved for use in low pressure domestic gas installations.

Testing criteria within the standard will be for manufacture, not post installation testing.

Whilst it is not a regulation, it is probably incorporated into at least one relevant regulation.

Hope this answers

Last edited:
Am I correct in thinking it is a standard to which copper
pipe and fittings must comply in order to be compatible for joining purposes. And it is not a regulation which requires fittings to be tested and approved. A bit like a pint of milk.
Not really.

It's in several parts. I've got parts 1 & 2 to hand. It is what you'd need if you manufacture fittings. For example, Part 1 covers:

"...specifies materials, assembly dimensions and tolerances and test requirements for fittings of copper and copper alloys with or without plating. Maximum permissible temperatures and pressures are also established. This part of EN 1254 specifies connection end dimensions of capillary soldering and brazing ends for the purposes of joining copper tubes specified in EN 1057. Fittings may comprise a combination of any of the end types specified in EN 1254-1 to EN 1254-5 or other standards. The standard establishes a designation system for the fittings."

The others are:

EN 1254-2, Part 2: Fittings with compression ends for use with copper tubes.
EN 1254-3, Part 3: Fittings with compression ends for use with plastics pipes.
EN 1254-4, Part 4: Fittings combining other end connections with capillary or compression ends.
EN 1254-5, Part 5: Fittings with short ends for capillary brazing to copper tubes.

From memory, it's EN1057 that specifies the copper tube to go with the fittings.

Last edited:
Not really.

It's in several parts. I've got parts 1 & 2 to hand. It is what you'd need if you manufacture fittings. For example, Part 1 covers:

"...specifies materials, assembly dimensions and tolerances and test requirements for fittings of copper and copper alloys with or without plating. Maximum permissible temperatures and pressures are also established. This part of EN 1254 specifies connection end dimensions of capillary soldering and brazing ends for the purposes of joining copper tubes specified in EN 1057. Fittings may comprise a combination of any of the end types specified in EN 1254-1 to EN 1254-5 or other standards. The standard establishes a designation system for the fittings."

The others are:

EN 1254-2, Part 2: Fittings with compression ends for use with copper tubes.
EN 1254-3, Part 3: Fittings with compression ends for use with plastics pipes.
EN 1254-4, Part 4: Fittings combining other end connections with capillary or compression ends.
EN 1254-5, Part 5: Fittings with short ends for capillary brazing to copper tubes.

From memory, it's EN1057 that specifies the copper tube to go with the fittings.
Thank you Chuck that is top info , I will go over it in detail and ask some more Questions
if thats ok maybe later tomorrow. As its regs lets keep it out there others might like to
learn What I Did Not Know. centralheatking

Reply to BS EN 1254:1998 Clarification needed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Good afternoon, I was hoping someone could advise regarding the regulations around flue terminations through a 'fake' window. We have a mixed-use development with a ground floor commercial unit and residential above. To keep with the style, a 'fake' window has been installed to the rear of the...
Replies
Views
hi all i got myself in a muddle. a friend of a friend came around at xmas to help me line up two copper pipes for shower bar install. the pipes were too short and no flex so he introduced me to Hep 2.0. he also did a dry fit and measured everything up to the mm. he left me with some patch work...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, looking for a bit of advice. I'm experimenting with heating solutions for my outdoor potting shed & workshop & I'm putting together an electric tube heater connected to copper heat pipes. Now I'm starting off small just as an experiment to see if I can do it & then upscale if needs be...
Replies
Views
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/05/12/the-heat-pump-farce-has-finally-been-exposed/?li_source=LI&li_medium=liftigniter-rhr I realise not many have a sub to Telegraph (neither do I) but this is the article in full. As for the statement by BG, I haven't corroborated it but it seems an odd...
Replies
Views
We live in a terraced row (SW London) and our neighbours are currently in the process of finalising their extension. There is a potential drainage issue (their rainwater drainage) for which they have advised us of a course of action to resolve it. Before agreeing, we would like a bit of...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock