Search the forum,

Discuss Broken Tiles in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Good morning,

I have just replaced a shower screen over a bath. Unfortunately, the old shower screen was glued and screwed to the tiled wall. And in removing the old glued metal profile 2 tiles broke - top left of one and bottom left of other. Actually the tiles came away from the wall whilst still attached to the metal trim.

Customer wants me to replace the broken tiles but i'm saying that this was collateral damage which was un-avoidable. I didn't go at it madly and rip the profile from the wall - I worked carefully and diligently trying to loosen the glue / cut the glue as i went. But still they broke.

If customer can't find matching tiles then they want all the tiles in the bathroom removed - all for a £50 shower screen replacement!

Where do I stand on this? What is the extent of my liability?

Thanks

Cheese wire is your friend when removing them

as for tiling the whole bathroom that’s just bad best you can do is try and find some close to matching

did you pre warn them ?

No, I didn't pre-warn them.
Post a few photographs of the room and the damage in our sister forum:

see if they have any advice about sources of matching tiles, methods of repairing broken tiles.

Check under bath for spare tiles, that’s the old school place to put them so the customer doesn’t loose them.
Not to sure where you stand , I always get the customer and show them the problem and explain possible outcomes. Next time eh.

From here I’d be offering to replace the tiles if they have spares, or I’d get some correct size / close match if possible.
In a similar situation where some b**g*r had grip-filled a basin to the wall I took two tiles from from behind the rad and replaced them with plain white - this was not noticeable and accepted by the customer - they paid me for the work as could see it not my fault - but in your situation I would offer to do it for free if they’re getting funny.
Behind door, behind pedestal behind rad etc are there any possibilities?

Maybe tell them that it was bad workmanship that the tiles come off the wall so tuff luck not my problem and now they want the bathroom tiled you cant proceed no more.

Check under bath for spare tiles, that’s the old school place to put them so the customer doesn’t loose them.
Not to sure where you stand , I always get the customer and show them the problem and explain possible outcomes. Next time eh.

From here I’d be offering to replace the tiles if they have spares, or I’d get some correct size / close match if possible.
In a similar situation where some b**g*r had grip-filled a basin to the wall I took two tiles from from behind the rad and replaced them with plain white - this was not noticeable and accepted by the customer - they paid me for the work as could see it not my fault - but in your situation I would offer to do it for free if they’re getting funny.
Behind door, behind pedestal behind rad etc are there any possibilities?
Checked under the bath, but no tiles. Agreed about possible outcomes, but where do you stop with this!

Good idea about taking tiles from less obvious places. Guaranteed they'll be stuck solid though! I'm waiting for them to come back but have offered to re-fit the 2 tiles for free, and no charge for the shower screen fitting.

I also found an outfit on-line called MagicMan who, if there website is to be believed, can repair tiles and match colour/pattern - has anyone used them?

Maybe tell them that it was bad workmanship that the tiles come off the wall so tuff luck not my problem and now they want the bathroom tiled you cant proceed no more.
Hi, told them that previous workmanship was the issue but not interested! Bloody new builds - I always seem to get the opportunity to repair other trades short cuts!

Reply to Broken Tiles in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock