Search the forum,

Discuss Broken Drayton TRV4 Radiator Valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

A Drayton TRV4 radiator valve where the head part you turn to change the temp including the tubular pin has come away from the rest of the unit. It hasn't snapped, it looks like it's been pulled, we think it's just a case of re-assembling and putting back but the TRV4 may need replacing if its actually broken. Pics attached. The result is the radiator is permanently on and we can't turn it off, it's stuck. We've tried turning the black plastic plate-cog inside the part still attached to the radiator which seems to reduce the temp but not able to turn it off completely. How do I fix this?

IMG_5672.jpg

IMG_5657.jpg

You can just replace the head by unscrewing it from the valve, then just screw another on.
Screwfix sell them.

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/drayt...MInJ2j7KOn4QIVorDtCh1JUg1XEAQYASABEgLU7PD_BwE

You will need to get a new one in my opinion.

I had this happen to me when I was fixing a leak on my grandmother's radiator late last year. I needed to isolate it and drain it partially when the head came apart just like that when I accidently bumped it whilst I had the bushing off the top side of the radiator. Whilst I had water pouring out the top of the rad a neighbour knocked on the door, let himself in and squished me between door and the rad whilst it was leaking everywhere and asked me to move my van. I wasn't very calm or polite and had to apologise to him afterwards, just a case of very bad timing I said! I couldn't for the life of me figure out how it went back together. It looked simple but would not go back together no matter what I tried.

Sorry to go off topic a bit but seeing that brought back bad memories. It's a new head job, simple enough with a new one in hand though.

Hi,
I had exactly the same problem, the top cap with the numbers 1 to Max separated from the rest of the head, couldn't see anything broken and they would go back together holding the white head and giving the top cap a hard thump. This only lasted a few minutes before separating again so next I added super glue to the inside of the top cap, you must unscrew the black inner plastic fully before putting the cap on with max showing, and again thump them together. Four days later ans still working.
Hope this helps,
Regards,
Peter.

Last edited:
Hi,
I had exactly the same problem, the top cap with the numbers 1 to Max separated from the rest of the head, couldn't see anything broken and they would go back together holding the white head and giving the top cap a hard thump. This only lasted a few minutes before separating again so next I added super glue to the inside of the top cap, you must unscrew the black inner plastic fully before putting the cap on with max showing, and again thump them together. Four days later ans still working.
Hope this helps,
Regards,
Peter.
A Drayton TRV4 radiator valve where the head part you turn to change the temp including the tubular pin has come away from the rest of the unit. It hasn't snapped, it looks like it's been pulled, we think it's just a case of re-assembling and putting back but the TRV4 may need replacing if its actually broken. Pics attached. The result is the radiator is permanently on and we can't turn it off, it's stuck. We've tried turning the black plastic plate-cog inside the part still attached to the radiator which seems to reduce the temp but not able to turn it off completely. How do I fix this?

View attachment 37977

View attachment 37978
I just had the same problem, here's how to fix:

1. Screw the black inside bit so that it is as high as it can be, i.e. in the "Hot" position.
2. Insert the black part of the peg into the main part of the unit - there are edges cut off the circle to help guide it in.
3. take the top and align it to the "Hot" position and then squeeze the two parts together between your palms.

Jobs a good'un.

Hope this helps some people.

You can just replace the head by unscrewing it from the valve, then just screw another on.
Screwfix sell them.

Drayton TRV4 Sensing Head - https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/drayton-trv4-sensing-head-0725006/7109R?tc=MT6&ds_kid=92700020972974108&gclsrc=aw.ds&ds_rl=1241687&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1249404&gclid=EAIaIQobChMInJ2j7KOn4QIVorDtCh1JUg1XEAQYASABEgLU7PD_BwE

or toolstation for a little bit less ..... Drayton TRV4 Classic Integral Head - https://www.toolstation.com/drayton-trv4-classic/p39498

or if you want to replace the body and lockshield valve (or have some spares).....

Edit...Didn't see the date of the OP.

1. Screw the black inside bit so that it is as high as it can be, i.e. in the "Hot" position.
2. Insert the black part of the peg into the main part of the unit - there are edges cut off the circle to help guide it in.
3. take the top and align it to the "Hot" position and then squeeze the two parts together between your palms.

Jobs a good'un.

Jobs a good'un.

Excellent have been fiddling with this for days, now working perfectly.
Thanks very Much

Reply to Broken Drayton TRV4 Radiator Valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Would like some help please as my Drayton Wiser system is a mess. I had 2 TRVs in the lounge, one in the main bedroom, the rest of the house - 6 other radiators and 2 bathroom towel radiators are just normal valve s. We live in a 4-bed, 3 storey house, as converted loft. Common problems were...
Replies
Views
Hi Everyone, The metal spindal on the top of one of our radiator valves is snapped off and the radiator is always off, is there a quickish fix for this or will I have to drain the whole system to replace it, pictures inculded, thank you!!
Replies
Views
Hi all, Today I noticed when the boiler is on, those radiators in the rooms I don't want heating are releasing heat even when the Drayton TRV4 valves fitted onto each of them are turned off all the way to the star symbol. Does anyone know why this is happening? Could it be due to the extra...
Replies
Views
Hi, I need to remove some radiators for redecorating and went to try and shut off the valves either side of my rad. I have TRV on one side and on the other side I noticed a blank top with no valve or peg sticking out that allows you to turn on or off (see pictures). I checked the other rads in...
Replies
Views
Hi All, In Dec 2023 I had my annual boiler service and asked the plumber to change 2 radiator valves as the radiator in the toilet downstairs was not working. He changed both valves and still the radiator was not working. He put some chemicals in and said it should break up anything that is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock