Search the forum,

Discuss British Standard Pipe sealing, taper and parallel in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

I'm new to this. Could you explain please: this fitting is described as - 'Brass Threaded Elbow - 1" BSP TM x BSP PF Elbow BSP Taper Male x BSP Parallel Female' - but I can't see any kind of mating face on the female side so I'm wondering if it's actually an Rp taper female rather than a G as it's described, or if I've not understood something. I'd like to understand for sure the distinction between G and R threads and particularly how the G fittings seal so I don't go and buy a bunch of subtly incompatible fittings. Much thanks.
1in-bsp-taper-m-x-bsp-parallel-f-elbow-brass_min_10547_P_1[1].jpg

There won’t be any shoulder / sealing face in the female end as you would ptfe / thread seal the tm threads that your inserting into the fp

Aslong as it’s bsp will fit but ideally you want male threads to be tapered as it provides a better sealing force / better overall design

There won’t be any shoulder / sealing face in the female end as you would ptfe / thread seal the tm threads that your inserting into the fp

Aslong as it’s bsp will fit but ideally you want male threads to be tapered as it provides a better sealing force / better overall design
I can understand that a male R-thread will seal in a female G-thread as it seals on the threads in exactly the same way as for an Rp, but the fitting is described as a female G-thread and so I was expecting to be able to fit male G-threads in there with success, but I don't believe that will work as there is no sealing face as as I understand it parallel fittings do not seal on their threads. It is not clear to me how I should recognise a female fitting designed to accept a male parallel thread if a fitting described as G is actually Rp.

I can understand that a male R-thread will seal in a female G-thread as it seals on the threads in exactly the same way as for an Rp, but the fitting is described as a female G-thread and so I was expecting to be able to fit male G-threads in there with success, but I don't believe that will work as there is no sealing face as as I understand it parallel fittings do not seal on their threads. It is not clear to me how I should recognise a female fitting designed to accept a male parallel thread if a fitting described as G is actually Rp.

Parallel seal on there threads also with pipe fittings need ptfe tape or sealant the only problem with parallel is you need the correct number of wraps eg ptfe so it seals and you can set any angle / position you want

Parallel seal on there threads also with pipe fittings need ptfe tape or sealant the only problem with parallel is you need the correct number of wraps eg ptfe so it seals and you can set any angle / position you want
Thanks. Yes I wondered how you got the angle/position right, like with a bib tap.

Reply to British Standard Pipe sealing, taper and parallel in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock