Search the forum,

Discuss Brass Sillcock Safety in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

I'm replacing an old exterior sillcock and nipple with new ones made of brass and galvanized steel, respectively. I followed the source of the line in my basement and it is a branch off the same cold water line feeding the water heater. I plan to use it mainly for lawn watering and filling a kiddie pool. The sillcock explicitly states not to use it for potable purposes. My questions are:

1) Is this safe given kids are prone to drink the pool water?
2) Any risk of contaminating the interior drinking water since it branches off an internal pipe? It seems like the pressure would ensure nothing flows backward from the sillcock.

Thanks!

Lead free brass stop tap and a stainless steel nipple

It seems like the pressure would ensure nothing flows backward from the sillcock.
Can't assume that. Backflow prevention measures need to be effective when the supply pressure is reduced or even negative, e.g. during maintenance or fault periods. You'll need to check your local regulations to see what is required in your part of the world.

Thanks for the responses. Just to clarify what I'm trying to do: run vinyl tubing 10 feet from my house under the deck to a new sillcock. Basically,

Inside valve -> exterior wall -> 10' vinyl tubing -> nipple -> sillcock.

To prevent backflow, is it possible to install something outside inline at the start of the vinyl tubing? Something akin to this, perhaps?

I plan to winterize this once a year by shutting off the valve inside the house, and draining the exterior tubing.

Reply to Brass Sillcock Safety in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock