Search the forum,

Discuss Brass "Faringdon" lockshield valves leaking in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

I have just tried to balance my heating system (16 cast iron rads, 3 towel rails), all the lockshields were fully open. When I try to close them down, they all leak, from a dribble to a gush. When I say all, I tried 6 and then stopped. The system was installed 9 years ago. Despite extensive googling, I cannot find anything to say if/ how they can be repaired. The lockshield is not the traditional type, it has an inset screw that is adjusted with an allen key. I am assumming that there is some type of rubber olive that has perished. Can anyone advise if/how I might be able to fix this. The installer has long since retired, so I cannot speak with them.
To aid identification, the attached photos show: the TRV, lockshield, lockshield with cover/cap removed.

Attachments

• 20221122_180427.jpg
    20221122_180427.jpg
    305.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 20221122_180525.jpg
    20221122_180525.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 20221122_180525.jpg
    20221122_180525.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 7
I think that type of valve is made / imported by West Radiators:

the data sheet shows how they are assembled:

Try contacting West and see if they know about this problem and can supply replacement seals or cartridges. If you've got six valves all failing in the same way at the same time it seems likely that it was a manufacturing fault. Perhaps the o-ring material was incorrect or the seatings were ground too deep.

Also supplied by Supplies4heat
And at eye watering prices by The radiator company .
I would suspect Italian imports as that's where 2 above company's source there rads.

Reply to Brass "Faringdon" lockshield valves leaking in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock